Coffee shops are showing up all over the place with such a variety of choice to choose from. These establishments can be a blessing for some because of their closeness and hours of operations.
Others may not feel the same way. They have to leave their homes to drive to the nearest coffee shop; many drinks served there do contain quite a big dose of sugar and let’s not forget how expensive they can be for one drink as well as over time for frequent visitors.
Enjoy a hazelnut-coffee smoothie in your own home and revel in the savings. No more rushing through traffic, searching for a parking space and imagine the time saved not waiting in line each morning. When you create a smoothie at home you control the amount of sugar, flavorings and can implement portion control too by sharing with the rest of the family.
- 4 ice cubes
- 1 cup of low-fat milk
- ¼ cup of hazelnuts
- 1 medium ripe banana, sliced
- 2 teaspoons of instant coffee granules
- 1 ½ teaspoons of packed brown sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Crush ice in a blender and put the crushed ice in a small bowl and set aside.
- Then blend the milk and nuts together until smooth.
- Add the banana, coffee, sugar and vanilla along with the ice into the blender.
- Blend the entire mixture until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into individual glasses and serve while cold.
- Top with a sprinkling of cinnamon or whipped cream.
- In lieu of the hazelnuts you can also try cashews or almonds to shake things up a bit more.
- Nuts blend better when processed alone with the milk. There is more room in the blender and the liquid starts absorbing the flavor of the ground nuts much faster.
- Recipe yields approximately two one-cup servings.
Skip the coffee shop today and create your own healthy smoothie at home!
© 2014 Beverly Mucha / All Rights Reserved