Skip to main content

See also:

North Korea reactor: Nuclear threat increases, 7-year reactor is being restarted

A North Korea reactor stands as the Asian country’s latest statement in following through on its nuclear threats this week. After 7 years of being out of service, North Korea has reportedly restarted a nuclear reactor system as part of its increasing military preparations and uranium enrichment facility developments. NewsMax shares this Friday, Jan. 31, 2014, that the Nyongbyon nuclear complex is officially back as well as a plutonium production site that was shut down in 2007, serving as a potential act of intimidation to both the U.S. and South Korea.

North Korea nuclear threat continues with system reboot
Photo File (Twitter), CS Monitor

The North Korea reactor has been offline for over 7 years now, but U.S. intelligence officials have confirmed this week that the previously dormant complex has since been restarted. While dictator Kim Jong-un has been spouting threats for months about the potential of a missile-laden attack on the country’s enemies, this move marks one of the most prominent efforts in proving true on his promises to increase North Korea’s overall nuclear program.

“In a written testimony to the Senate Intelligence Committee, Director of National Intelligence James Clapper announced that North Korea has formally expanded the size of the uranium enrichment facility at the Nyongbyon nuclear complex, as well as restarted a massive reactor that was used for plutonium production before it was shut down back in 2007.”

These recently disclosed findings connect with past assessments made public in Summer 2013 by researchers monitoring the nuclear program of North Korea through a network of satellite imagery. South Korea has finally been yet another confirmation of the report, with intelligence sources saying that the reactor has been restarted, though its usage level yet is not known.

"North Korea's nuclear weapons and missile programs pose a serious threat to the United States and to the security environment in East Asia," Clapper said. He added that the North is committed to developing a long-range missile that can very well threaten the U.S. in the future.

Following an atomic test explosion conducted underground as early as Feb. 2013, the rebooting of the North Korea reactor has been hinted at by the Asian country. Political leader Kim Jong-un said via government spokespersons that it intended to “alter and adjust” its nuclear facilities despite previous statements that a minimization of nuclear activity would be concluded. While tension has somewhat settled between the U.S. and North Korea, strain levels still run high between the two countries, especially after American military procedures have continued with our ally, South Korea.

North Korea leader Kim Jong-Un has also released a new threat aside from the 7-year reactor reboot this week, saying that even something as drastic as nuclear war may result if a number of joint military drills hosted between the U.S. and South Korea are not put to an immediate end this Feb. 2014.