- Camo pants - Civilians have long worn this military staple as a rebellious declaration, but today men choose camo pants as more of a bold style statement than anything else. Wear them with everything from henleys to sportcoats.
- White jeans - If you've never owned a pair, you'll be surprised at how versatile white jeans are. They add a safari element to khaki and other neutral clothing (think modern-day Hemingway), and provide the perfect backdrop for bright colors.
- Bold blazer - Nothing says spring like a boldly colored blazer. For maximum impact, wear it over a pair of white jeans—and don't be afraid to pair it with a bold shirt, too.
- Tassel loafers - Think of tassel loafers as a dressy sneaker. You can wear them with pants or shorts, with or without socks—and yes, you can wear them with a suit.
- Bow tie - Today's best-dressed gentlemen don bow ties with everything from blazers to Bermudas. Remember: a little asymmetry takes a bow tie from stuffy to perfectly imperfect.
- Spread-collar dress shirt - The medium spread collar is the perfect middle ground between the point and the wide spread. It expresses confident style and flatters most face shapes.
- Tortoiseshell sunglasses - No longer made from the real deal, tortoiseshell sunglasses still exude a cool vintage vibe. Their warm, mottled coloring complements most skin tones.
- Modern backpack - This is not the bag from your school days. Today's backpacks are updated with new materials and colors—and still offer hands-free utility and compartmentalized convenience.
- Henley - Originally a rowing uniform in England, today's henleys serve as an alternative to a T-shirt or polo. Wear one under a blazer for the perfect mix of polished prep and rugged masculinity.
- Striped sweater - When it comes to stripes, bolder is better. Don't worry about wearing stripes over a pattern—as long as the pattern isn't another stripe, and it's scaled differently, the two will play well together.
The biggest surprise on the list is likely to be camo pants -- for most guys, they are simply too bold or don't work in situations that the modern gentleman finds himself in most often. Try this one if you want, but understand that you'll be making a bold statement that could be better achieved in other ways.
White jeans may be the most intimidating of the bunch for guys, as they are seen as a bit too bold for many men. However, they are still worth a try, or for those rare warm summer days, consider a pair of well-tailored white linen pants. They are a bit more relaxed and a bit more elegant while still offering a casual vibe.
See examples of Nordstrom's ten must-haves for guys this spring and shop their picks here.