Skip to main content

See also:

No injuries in home fire in Sugarcreek Township

No injuries in house fire in Sugarcreek Township on Monday night
No injuries in house fire in Sugarcreek Township on Monday night
Photograph taken by Danielle Coots

Flames engulfed Mr. and Mrs. Michael Hall’s chimney on March 24 at approximately 8:10 p.m. causing them to call 9-1-1. The Sugarcreek Township fire department responded to 717 S. Alpha-Bellbrook Rd. with the support of area fire departments.

Fire crews were dispatched with complaints of fire and smoke coming from the chimney. Upon arrival, the outside of the chimney and wood chase structure was on fire. The two-story house is situated through approximately 2,000 feet down a gravel and narrow driveway, causing trouble getting water to the fire.

“The fire department had three pump trucks down the driveway,” homeowner, Michael Hall said. “They had one truck at the end of the drive, one in the middle and then one up here by the fire.”

Sugarcreek Township Fire Department called upon the support of the Bellbrook and Washington Township Fire Departments, who worked seamlessly and without hesitation. They also called for the support of the Sugarcreek Township Police Department to help secure the area and direct traffic until the situation was under control.

“We were really lucky that the fire department was able to contain the fire to only the chimney,” Hall continued. “We’ve only lived here for two years and really like it here.”

The Fire Department’s preliminary report found that the fire was caused by a malfunctioning flue pipe system. The estimated damage is approximately $10,000. The family was not displaced and remains warm in the comfort of their home.