This recipe was adapted from the coconut macaroon recipe on marthastewart.com. The macaroons are crisp on the outside and moist and chewy on the inside. This recipe is an easy to make hostess gift or quick throw together for a BBQ or party. Enjoy!
• 2 large egg whites
• Pinch of salt
• 1 can (14 ounces) fat free sweetened condensed milk
• 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
• 2 bags shredded sweetened coconut (400g each)
1. Heat oven to 300 degrees. Racks should be in the top and bottom third of the oven.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites and salt until frothy, about 2 minutes.
3. Stir in condensed milk and vanilla.
4. Using a rubber spatula, fold in coconut until well combined.
5. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick baking mats.
6. Using a tablespoon and your fingers, form macaroons into 1 1/4-inch mounds about 1 inch apart.
7. Bake until macaroons are golden brown, about 20 minutes. Switch the pans between racks half way through.
8. Transfer baking sheets to a cooling rack; let cool completely.
9. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.