1. Life
  2. Education & Schools
  3. Education Policies

No credentials needed to homeschool in Quebec

Photo: morguefile.com/earl53
(Photo: morguefile.com/earl53)

What are the qualifications to be homeschooled in Quebec? This excellent question was posed over the weekend by Montreal Women's Issues Examiner, Carol Roach. This response is an adaptation of a piece I wrote a while back to help homeschooling parents who never got a high school diploma.

Quebec Education Act

The law that addresses home-based education in Quebec is the Education Act, which says any child residing in Quebec must attend school between the ages of 6 and 16. The Act then goes on to list several exceptions to compulsory school attendance, including home-based education:

15. The following students are exempt from compulsory school attendance:

(4) a student who receives home schooling and benefits from an educational experience which, according to an evaluation made by or for the school board, are equivalent to what is provided at school.

This is the only law that discusses homeschooling in so many words, and it is plain to see there are no specific qualifications demanded - either in terms of certifications, or minimum level of education for the parents. The emphasis is placed, as it should be, on the educational experience the homeschooled student receives.

How to teach challenging subjects

A parent with any level of education will occasionally encounter a subject he or she feels ill-prepared to teach. Other times, the issue is more one of needing to work with a group or of having access to a specialized space or set of equipment for a learning activity. Some ways of dealing with these obstacles are:

• Purchase a curriculum intended specifically for homeschool use, and make use of the accompanying support;
  • Engage a tutor as needed;
  • Work with other families to organize activities such as sports, field trips, and classes for math, French, arts or science;
  • Prepare for difficult subjects ahead of time, by taking a class or completing the student curriculum;
  • Learn together as a family. This is a fun way to approach any subject, and it reinforces the importance of lifelong learning!

Comments

• montreal women's issues, health and mental health 4 years ago

wow that is great, my son is 34 but when he was young I wanted to home school him but felt what did I know, he was best to learn with qualified teachers.

• Emylou Lewis 4 years ago

Great info!

Third culture kids examiner
    Seattle stay-at-home moms examiner

• R.R.Cratty Parenting & Education Examiner 4 years ago

I have been teaching since 1982, yet I still feel so blessed to have had my sons taught by public ed teachers besides their old mom...and I am so proud of the young men they are...thanks teachers!

• Faith Draper 4 years ago

I have always admired people who home school - I never felt I would have the patience or regiment to do it myself. Very informative article, am going to read more of your work as time permits.

Lansing Children's Books Examiner & Lansing City Guide Examiner

• Kyla Matton - Mtl Parenting & Ed Examiner 4 years ago

Carol, I'm not sure whether Quebec had any legal stance on homeschooling at that time, but I know schools in the Montreal area often had a policy of informing parents homeschooling was illegal until very recently.

Homeschooling is not a choice for everyone, but anyone can do it if they want to. It does mean adapting to changes, and it may well create the necessity to look outside the family for some subjects. (Our girls do arts & physical education outside the home, for example.)

It doesn't necessarily imply extra discipline on the part of parents, either. I know several unschooling families whose children are bright, articulate, and obviously not suffering for a lack of textbooks, worksheets or regimented routines. There are myriad ways to homeschool, and we each find our own path to success.

• Langley - Charleston Dogs Examiner 4 years ago

Interesting article Kyla. I know many mothers that homeschool their children. Resources such as those you provide are very helpful.