It came down to the last match of the dual meet as sixth-ranked University of Oklahoma wrestling overcame a deficit to defeat No. 24 Oregon State, 20-18, at Gill Coliseum in Corvallis, Ore. Saturday afternoon.
The Sooners had been behind 18-17 at the start of the tenth match of the dual, at 197 pounds. However, third-ranked Travis Rutt came through for Oklahoma with a 7-3 win over No. 13 Taylor Meeks to put the visitors ahead by two points at the end.
The Beavers got off to a fast start, winning its first two matches at heavyweight and 125 pounds, then getting two more wins for a total of four wins vs. Oklahoma’s six.
Bonus points were a factor in four matches. Oregon State’s Pat Rollins and R.J. Pena each put six points on the board by putting their opponents’ shoulders to the mat in their matches at 125 and 157 pounds, respectively… while Oklahoma’s 133-pounder Cody Brewer and, at 174, Andrew Howe, got major decision victories.
"Oregon State is a very good team. They had a good plan against us and are very well coached," said Oklahoma head coach Mark Cody said. "Any time you can give up two pins against a team of that caliber and still come up with a win, it's fortunate. As a team we still have a lot of work to do in preparing our guys for what's to come in the next couple of months."
For Oregon State, it was the last home dual of the season, as well as Senior Day, to honor wrestlers completing their college mat careers. Next weekend the Sooners will have a Senior Day of their own.
With the on-the-road win, Oklahoma is now 8-1 overall, and 2-0 in the Big 12… while Oregon State is 7-5 for the season, and 2-0 in Pac-12 competition.
- Hwt: No. 15 Amarveer Dhesi (Oregon State) dec. No. 17 Ross Larson (OU), 6-2
- 125: Pat Rollins (Oregon State) pinned Sean Williams (OU), 4:33
- 133: No. 8 Cody Brewer (OU) maj. dec. Drew Van Anrooy (Oregon State), 13-4
- 141: No. 15 Nick Lester (OU) dec. Joey Delgado (Oregon State), 5-3
- 149: No. 2 Kendric Maple (OU) dec. No. 12 Scott Sakaguchi (Oregon State), 8-6
- 157: No.11 RJ Pena (Oregon State) pinned No. 19 Justin DeAngelis (OU), 1:53
- 165: Clark Glass (OU) dec. Toney Chay (Oregon State), 5-2
- 174: No. 1 Andrew Howe (OU) maj. dec. Joe Latham (Oregon State), 17-6
- 184: Austin Morehead (Oregon State) dec. Danny Chaid, 9-2
- 197: No. 3 Travis Rutt (OU) dec. No. 13 Taylor Meeks (Oregon State), 7-3
The heart of the season is here! Don't miss a thing! Keep up with the biggest on-the-mat developments, as well coach hirings, firings and retirings, new programs, new events, new ways to promote wrestling, and other stories you won't find elsewhere... by clicking the "subscribe" button at the top of the page to make sure you don't miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News' Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It's absolutely FREE!