While third-ranked University of Minnesota wrestling cruised to a 35-6 win over No. 21 Indiana in Minneapolis Sunday afternoon, it continues to be a rough winter for Golden Gopher big man Tony Nelson, as he lost his fourth straight match, this time to Adam Chalfant.
Chalfant defeated the two-time NCAA heavyweight champ, 3-2, in regulation. Nelson’s other losses this season have been in matches extending into overtime.
Here’s how the official Indiana wrestling website described the match at 285: “(Chalfant) bull-rushed the Golden Gopher and finished off a double-leg, burying Nelson for the bout-winning takedown.”
A senior from Winchester, Ind., Chalfant is now 21-2 for the season. The Hoosier heavyweight’s one loss vs. a conference opponent was to Northwestern’s Mike McMullan, who, along with Chalfant, Iowa’s Bobby Telford, and Michigan’s Adam Coon have all handed Nelson, who won back-to-back NCAA titles in 2012 and 2013, a string of losses over the past four weekends.
Chalfant wasn’t the only winner for Indiana, as redshirt freshman Trevor Moody got the victory at 141 pounds.
Minnesota got eight wins, seven of them resulting in bonus points. Dylan Ness, Logan Storley, Kevin Steinhaus, Sam Brancale and Nick Dardanes all scored major decision victories… while Scott Schiller and David Thorn put their opponents’ shoulders to the mat to each put six points toward their team score.
With the win, Minnesota is now 9-1 for the season and 6-1 in Big Ten competition, while Indiana falls to 8-8-1 overall, and 0-3 in the Big Ten.
- 157: No. 8 Dylan Ness (MINN) maj. dec. Alex Gregory (IU), 8-0
- 165: No. 16 Danny Zilverberg (MINN) dec. No. 20 Ryan LeBlanc (IU), 4-2
- 174: No. 6 Logan Storley (MINN) maj. dec. Matt Irick (IU), 14-5
- 184: No. 4 Kevin Steinhaus (MINN) maj. dec. Luke Sheridan (IU), 15-2
- 197: No. 1 Scott Schiller (MINN) pinned Cheney Dale (IU), 2:37
- Hwt: No. 4 Adam Chalfant (IU) dec. No. 3 Tony Nelson (MINN), 3-2
- 125: No. 28 Sam Brancale (MINN) maj. dec. Alonzo Shepherd (IU), 15-3
- 133: No. 9 David Thorn (MINN) pinned Chris Caton (IU), 2:26
- 141: Trevor Moody (IU) dec. Corey Hodowanic (MINN), 6-3
- 149: No. 3 Nick Dardanes (MINN) maj. dec. Eric Roach (IU), 15-6
Want to see more? Check out Mark Beshey's action photos from TheGuillotine.com.
The heart of the season is here! Don't miss a thing! Keep up with the biggest on-the-mat developments, as well coach hirings, firings and retirings, new programs, new events, new ways to promote wrestling, and other stories you won't find elsewhere... by clicking the "subscribe" button at the top of the page to make sure you don't miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News' Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It's absolutely FREE!