Second-ranked University of Iowa wrestling defeated No. 8 University of Nebraska, 22-9, in front of 3,946 fans at Devaney Center in Lincoln, Neb. Saturday night… but the Hawkeyes’ top-ranked 157-pounder, Derek St. John, lost to No. 3 James Green.
Green defeated St. John, 9-7, handing the 2013 NCAA Division I 157 champ his first loss of the season. With that loss, now all returning 2013 NCAA champs have lost at least one match this season, according to the NCAA Wrestling Twitter account.
Despite that individual match loss, overall it was a successful evening for the Hawkeyes, as they won seven of ten matches (including a major-decision victory from 133-pounder Tony Ramos)… and notched their seventh straight dual-meet win in their series with the Huskers.
That said, Iowa coach Tom Brands didn’t focus on those positives in his post-dual comments.
"Those three matches - 149, 157, 174 - the whole country, or anyone paying attention to this dual meet, is talking about it, and we went 0-for-3," said Brands. "We won seven matches. I do not feel like we won seven matches. We left two major decisions off the board, but you have to keep moving forward."
"We have to get ready again. We have one dual this week and one dual meet the next week, and we have to put a lineup out there that is going to score," added Brands. "We have to use the whole clock. The whole seven minutes."
Iowa is now 11-1 for the season, and 4-0 in official Big Ten conference competition, while Nebraska falls to 8-1, and is 2-1 in the Big Ten.
- 125: No. 3 Thomas Gilman (IA) dec. No. 9 Tim Lambert (Neb.), 2-1
- 133: No. 3 Tony Ramos (IA) maj. dec. Shawn Nagel (Neb.), 15-4
- 141: No. 13 Josh Dziewa (IA) dec. Colton McCrystal (Neb.), 9-2
- 149: No. 5 Jake Sueflohn (Neb.) dec. No. 13 Brody Grothus (IA), 5-2
- 157: No. 3 James Green (Neb.) dec. No. 1 Derek St. John (IA), 9-7
- 165: No. 4 Nick Moore (IA) dec. Austin Wilson (Neb.), 8-2
- 174: No. 4 Robert Kokesh (Neb.) dec. No. 6 Mike Evans (IA), 7-3
- 184: Sammy Brooks (IA) dec. No. 11 T.J. Dudley (Neb.), 6-4
- 197: No. 16 Nathan Burak (IA) dec. Caleb Kolb (Neb.), 3-1
- Hwt: No. 3 Bobby Telford (IA) dec. Collin Jensen (Neb.), 2-0
Take a look back... Check out College Wrestling Examiner's list Top Ten Stories of 2013.
The season is here! Don't miss a thing! Keep up with the biggest on-the-mat developments, as well coach hirings, firings and retirings, new programs, new events, new ways to promote wrestling, and other stories you won't find elsewhere... by clicking the "subscribe" button at the top of the page to make sure you don't miss a single article from College Wrestling Examiner, winner of Amateur Wrestling News' Dellinger Award as wrestling writer of 2011. It's absolutely FREE!