Today, Nintendo had its Nintendo Direct presentation. President Satoru Iwata presented news about its console, the Wii U. The news itself included updates to the hardware, new footage of previously announced games, and new game announcements. Here is a summary of all of the news:
- Two different system updates. One update will be in the spring and the other in the summer. These updates will help the system perform faster and reduce loading times when launching the system as well as returning to the home menu faster.
- Launch of the Wii U Virtual Console service. It will be launched after the system update in the spring. The player will be able to play games with the Wii U gamepad.
- 2013 is the 30th anniversary of the NES launch. To celebrate, Nintendo is selling different games off of the Virtual Console for $.30 each month.
There was also new footage of a few games as well as announcements for new ones. New footage for previously announced games such as The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 was shown. Iwata also announced new games and some will be shown at this year’s E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo). Some of the games announced for the Wii U include:
- A new 3D Mario game
- A new Mario Kart
- A new party game
- A new Yoshi game developed by the team that made Kirby’s Epic Yarn
- Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem crossover game
- Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD
- Brand new 3D Zelda title
- A new game from Monolith Soft, the makers of Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii
Thoughts: With a combination of established titles and some newer, up-and-coming ones, the Wii U is slowly adding quality games to its library. Hopefully Nintendo can work out the kinks in the hardware and perceptions of the Wii U can change.