Skip to main content
Consoles

See also:

Nintendo CEO: Gamers won’t see ‘Mario’ on smartphones any time soon

In this handout image provided by Nintendo of America, Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo Co. Ltd., gives the keynote address at the Game Developers Conference March 2, 2011 in San Francisco.
In this handout image provided by Nintendo of America, Satoru Iwata, president of Nintendo Co. Ltd., gives the keynote address at the Game Developers Conference March 2, 2011 in San Francisco.
Photo by Handout/Getty Images

In the light of a poor financial forecast announced by Nintendo last week, CEO Satoru Iwata reinforced the company’s philosophy on not launching Mario or any other franchise on mobile devices, according to a report today form VG 24/7.

Iwata said in a press conference last week, as translated by the Wall Street Journal, that he believes that Nintendo’s role is more utilizing smartphones to market games and push gamers toward playing using the company’s line of consoles.

“The spread of smart devices does not spell the end of game consoles. It’s not that simple,” Iwata said, adding, “It doesn’t mean that we should put Mario on smartphones.”

Nintendo was forced to cut its sales forecast of the Wii U by nearly 70 percent last week, while also announcing it would operate at a 35 billion yen (roughly $335.76 million) loss when the fiscal year ends in March. You can read that full Examiner report here.

In the press conference, Iwata apologized to shareholders for the poor financial outlook but said he would not be stepping down nor would there be any executive shakeup. You can read that full Examiner report by clicking here.