Amidst a bevy of announcements including a Wii U price drop and new Nintendo 2DS handheld system, Nintendo today provided release dates for and additional details on their Wii U and 3DS software lineup for the rest of 2013, including the ever-important holiday shopping period.
The company's Wii U console will be getting several key game releases throughout the rest of the year, including:
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD: Launches September 20th (digital) and October 4th (retail) at a suggested retail price of $49.99
- Wii Party U: Launches October 25th and comes bundled with a Wii Remote Plus controller and stand; suggested retail price is $49.99
- Super Mario 3D World: Launches November 22nd at a suggested retail price of $59.99
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze: Launches December 6th at a suggested retail price of $49.99
- Wii Fit U: Launches this holiday season; release date and pricing details are coming at a later date
- Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games: Also launches this holiday season; release date and pricing details also coming at a later date
- Third party titles: The Wii U's previously-announced third-party software lineup for the rest of 2013 includes Rayman Legends (September 3rd), Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (September 24th), LEGO Marvel Super Heroes (fall 2013), Just Dance 2014 (October 8th), Skylanders: SWAP Force (October 13th), Sonic: Lost World (October 22nd), Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag (October 29th), Call of Duty: Ghosts (November 5th), and Watch Dogs (November 19th).
Nintendo also provided release dates for two of their major forthcoming 3DS titles and reconfirmed the handheld's previously-announced third-party game lineup for the rest of the year:
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds: Launches November 22nd at a suggested retail price of $39.99
- Mario Party: Island Tour: Also launches November 22nd at a suggested retail price of $39.99
- Third party titles: Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure (September 24th), LEGO Marvel Super Heroes: Universe in Peril (fall 2013), Skylanders: SWAP Force (October 13th), Sonic: Lost World (October 22nd), Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate (October 25th), and Adventure Time: Explore the Dungeon Because I DON'T KNOW! (November 19th).
There are two key points to take away from all of this release information. First, Super Mario 3D World and Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze have switched places in the release lineup since they were originally revealed at E3; the former was originally supposed to release in December, with the latter releasing before it in November. The reason for the switch is likely because Nintendo views Mario as a much more powerful holiday system-seller than Donkey Kong, and the last week of November is considered the busiest shopping week of the year.
Secondly, November 22nd is a key date that Nintendo fans will want to mark on their calendars, as Super Mario 3D World, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and Mario Party: Island Tour are all releasing on that same day!
To round things out, Nintendo also released the box art for a few of these upcoming titles, including DKC: Tropical Freeze, Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and Mario Party: Island Tour. You can check all that out in the gallery within this article!
Game On, powered by Examiner, is a select group of reliable and credible writers, giving you the latest gaming news, reviews, interviews, and previews. Follow the team on Twitter, Facebook, and YouTube.