1. Tech
  2. Games
  3. Handheld Games

Nintendo announces next generation handheld

You may want to think twice about picking up that DSi-XL next week; Nintendo announced early Tuesday morning that the true successor to the DS will be launched sometime during the coming fiscal year (April 2010 - March 2011).

The new handheld, tentatively dubbed the 3DS, will play games with 3D effects without the need for special glasses, and will also play all DS and DSi games.  In addition, Japanese business daily Nikkei reports that the handheld will feature an analog joystick and built-in rumble functionality.

Rumors that Nintendo's next handheld will feature a built-in accelerometer for motion-based gameplay have yet to be verified, but the company is expected to reveal the 3DS in full at the E3 trade show in Los Angeles this June.

This announcement comes less than a week before the North American launch of the DSi-XL, the latest revamp of the original DS hardware released in 2004.

MY TAKE: I still have a red-and-black-flavored headache from Nintendo's last 3D gaming system, but that's beside the point.  This thing is a 3D DS.  Three dimensions multiplied by two screens?  That's at least five dimensions of gaming--maybe even more.  This was foretold. THIS IS HOW IT ENDS.

Alternatively, I'm glad that Nintendo announced this and made the decision for me about whether or not to upgrade to a DSi-XL.

Sources: Gamespot, Nikkei

Comments

• Peter 4 years ago

3 times 2 is 6

• Tricia 4 years ago

The last 3D Nintendo thing was that headgear thing, right? That was a trip!

• Anderson 4 years ago

I saw the commercial on TV for the XL yesterday. It was ingenious--using Mario and a power-up mushroom to "enlarge" the DS. I hate how late North America is to changes to Nintendo systems, but glad to know that the new 3DS is coming out. I do have a big question however, do you have to wear glasses for this bad boy to work?

• Doug 4 years ago

Peter: get your math out of my Nintendos.

Tricia: yeah the Virtual Boy, that thing was a disaster but I did like the Wario game.

Anderson: the press release says it'll do 3D without glasses. Some people speculate there'll be a special filter placed right over the screen, others seem to think it'll be an effect similar to the one you can see in the video at (link removed--do a youtube search for "what the 3DS games will look like" to see video of an upcoming DSiware game with 3D effects), but I'm wondering--if the DS can already do THAT, then what's the point of a new system?

• Tricia 4 years ago

Wow, I did the youtube search for "what the 3DS games will look like" and that's incredible! I want one!

• Anderson 4 years ago

There's pictures online of the stacked images that create a 3D illusion--I hope it doesn't do that type of stuff, I can't see it at all!

Don't Miss

• Unity
    'Assassin's Creed Unity' preview: Ubisoft comes home to its urban origins
    Games Preview
  • Kindle
    The new 'Kindle Unlimited' program could cause legal troubles for Amazon.com
    Video
    Tech Buzz
  • Destiny
    The 'Destiny' beta: 7 things we absolutely love about Bungie's new franchise
    Games Feature
  • iOS Backdoors
    iOS backdoors: Hidden items found in 600 million devices, is Apple spying on us?
    Headlines
  • Far Cry
    'Far Cry 4' exclusive: Animals, avalanches, oxygen, side content and much more
    Games Interview
  • iPhone Handle
    A young inventor thinks all iPhones should come with one of these gadgets
    Video