Keeping your software up-to-date each month is easier than ever with the website Ninite (http://ninite.com/). You simply choose what you want to update, the site creates one installer, and you run that to update everything. Cannot use for: Operating System updates, anti-virus updates, or Adobe Flash, however*.
Quick “How to Use” Guide (See Slideshow for images)
- Open the Ninite website
- Click these titles of your software to update.
- Click the green "Get Installer" button.
- On the next screen you will be prompted to save the update file. Save to your desktop or downloads folder.
- Find the installer file and double-click to run.
- An installer box will appear and tell you what was updated and what was OK and already up-to-date.
- When it is finished you can close the installer box.
NOTE: You can use the same installer each month for those same software programs.
Every month you should obviously update your operating system (e.g., Windows, Apple), Microsoft Office products, and antivirus software signatures. But did you know that there are more software titles that should be updated monthly? These include*:
- Operating System – Microsoft, Apple, and Linux
- Microsoft Office products
- Anti-virus and Anti-malware signatures (e.g., Malwarebytes)
- Browsers: Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera
- Adobe Products: Reader, Acrobat, Flash, Shockwave, and Air
- Media Players: Windows Media Player, Quicktime, Real Player, iTunes, and Flash Player
*You should keep all of your software up-to-date to help avoid virus and malware infestations. Each year you should remove software you don’t use and update anything not on the list above that you're updating monthly.
Again, you can't update Adobe Flash Player at Ninite but you can get updates online.