Half a lifetime ago, Trent Reznor felt as if his budding musical career would be “endless.” But now the 48-year-old says he’s treating his life’s work a little “more preciously” as his time on stage winds down, according to a report today from the Associated Press.
Speaking with the publication at the Lollapalooza festival in Chile, Reznor said, with Nine Inch Nails embarking on a worldwide tour, that he’s looking at his career now through “finite eyes.”
"Life feels different at 48 than it did at 24. I don't know how much longer I'll be doing this, or people will care ... it's not as endless as it once seemed, so I treat it more preciously."
Reznor said he felt uneasy about the tour, which follows NIN’s first full-scale album release in half a decade in September with Hesitation Marks, but the feeling quickly waned.
“… We started rehearsing, and it was fun. It felt fresh,” Reznor said.
After winning an Academy Award for The Social Network soundtrack, marrying fellow musician Mariqueen Maandig, fathering two children, starings a new band, and writing a failed HBO series during the band’s five-year break, Reznor said he’s still seeking out new adventures.
"The main thing that I'm concerned about is putting myself in positions and places that are often uncomfortable, to force myself to grow as an artist," Reznor said.
The North American leg of Nine Inch Nail’s tour with Soundgarden kicks off on July 19 in Las Vegas and ends in Hollywood, Calif., on Aug. 25.
Here’s a complete list of dates:
- 7/19 –– Las Vegas, Planet Hollywood
- 7/21 –– Morrison, Colo., Red Rocks Amphitheatre
- 7/22 –– Morrison, Colo., Red Rocks Amphitheatre
- 7/24 –– Tinley Park, Ill., First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre
- 7/26 –– Clarkston, Mich., DTE Energy Music Theatre
- 7/27 –– Toronto, Ontario, Molson Canadian Amphitheatre
- 7/29 –– Mansfield, Mass., XFINITY Center
- 7/30 –– Camden, N.J., Susquehanna Bank Center
- 8/1 –– Wantagh, N.Y., Nikon at Jones Beach Theatre
- 8/2 –– Holmdel, N.J., PNC Bank Arts Center
- 8/4 –– Bristow, Va., Jiffy Lube Live
- 8/5 –– Virginia Beach, Va., Farm Bureau Live at Virginia Beach
- 8/7 –– Charlotte, N.C., PNC Music Pavillion
- 8/8 –– Atlanta, Aaron's Ampitheater at Lakewood
- 8/10 –– West Palm Beach, Fla., Cruzan Amphitheatre
- 8/11 –– Tampa, Fla., MidFlorida Credit Union Amphitheatre
- 8/14 –– Austin, Texas, Austin360 Amphitheater
- 8/16 –– Woodlands, Texas, Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion
- 8/17 –– Dallas, Gexa Energy Pavillion
- 8/19 –– Albuquerque, N.M., Isleta Amphitheatre
- 8/21 –– Chula Vista, Calif., Sleep Train Amphitheatre
- 8/22 –– Irvine, Calif., Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre
- 8/24 –– Mountain View, Calif., Shoreline Amphitheatre
- 8/25 –– Hollywood, Calif., Hollywood Bowl