Skip to main content
  1. Life
  2. Religion & Spirituality
  3. Western Religions

Nigeria Kidnapped girls ‘shown’ in a new Boko Haram video

See also

A new video released by Islamist militant group Boko Haram claimed that were around 130 girls kidnapped from a school in Nigeria, last month, BBC reported Monday.

More Photos

The group’s leader, Abubakar Shekau, said that the girls would be held until all of its imprisoned militants had been freed.

He added that the girls kidnapped were converted into Islam, and the video claims to have shown them praying.

So far, Boko Haram abducted more than 200 girls in northern Nigeria since April 14, and threatened to sell them.

Three girls, in the video, were speaking in the video, and one of them said the group has not been harmed, the report said.

There were two girls converted from Christian to Islam.

“These girls, you occupy yourselves with … we have indeed liberated them. These girls have become Muslims,” Shekau was quoted as saying in the video.

The majority of the abducted girls were Christians, and some of them were Muslims.

There was no indication when the video taken.

The number of girls in the video was just half of the 276 pupils abducted by the terrorists from the northern state of Borno.

The president of Nigeria refused to have outside help to search for, more than, 300 girls abducted from a school by Islamic extremists. It creates a growing international outrage against the government.

The United Kingdom, Nigeria’s former colonizer, first said it was ready to help in a news release the day after the mass abduction on April 15, and made a formal offer of assistance on April 18, according to the British Foreign Office. And the U.S. has said its embassy and staff agencies offered help and were in touch with Nigeria “from day one” of the crisis, according to Secretary of State John Kerry.

President Goodluck Jonathan accepted help from the United States, Britain, France and China, after a month later.

It appears the delay of this is due to lack of urgency on the part of the government and military, for reasons that include a reluctance to bring-in outsiders as well as possible infiltration by the extremists.

Jonathan said to his phone conversation with the U.S. President Barack Obama about aid had brought up alleged human rights abuses by Nigerian security forces. He acknowledges that his government might be penetrated by insurgents from Boko Haram, the extremist group that kidnapped the girls. He suspects that Boko Haram terrorists might have been in the executive, legislative and judiciary arms of government along with the police and armed forces.

It builds up animosity and anger on the part of parents, especially since they fear some of their daughters forced into marriage with their abductors for a nominal bride price of $12. Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau called the girls slaves in a video this week and vowed to sell them.

“For a good 11 days, our daughters were sitting in one place,” said Enoch Mark. The indignant father of two girls abducted from the Chibok Government Girls Secondary School. “They camped them near Chibok, not more than 30 kilometers, and no help in hand for a good 11 days.”

The military denied that they had ignored warnings of the impending attacks. Maj. Gen. Chris Olukolade, a Defense Ministry spokesman, told The Associated Press the major challenge has been that some of the information given turned out to be misleading.

Reuben Abati, one of Jonathan’s presidential advisers, denied that Nigeria had turned down offers of help.

“That information cannot be correct,” he said. “What John Kerry said is that this is the first-time Nigeria is seeking assistance on the issue of the abducted girls.”

Kerry has said Nigeria did not welcome U.S. help earlier because it wanted to pursue its own strategy. U.S. Sen. Chris Coons said Friday that it took “far too long” for Jonathan to accept aid from the United States, and he is holding a hearing next week to examine what happened. A senior State Department official also said Friday that the U.S. offered help “back in April, more or less right away.”

“We didn’t go public about it because the consensus was that doing so would make the Nigerians less likely to accept our help,” said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the issue concerns internal discussions between governments.

Nigeria is a country of 170 million in West Africa that receives hundreds of thousands of dollars in aid from the U.S. every year to address a rising insurgency in the north and growing tensions between Christians and Muslims. The girls who were kidnapped located in the northeast which is remote and sparsely populated, far from the southern oil fields that help to power Africa’s biggest economy.

The abductions came about a massive explosion in the Nigerian capital of Abuja killed at least 75 people, about 15-minute drive away from Jonathan’s residence and office. Chibok government official Bana Lawal told the AP that at about 11 p.m. on April 15, he received a warning via cellphone that approximately 200 heavily armed militants were on their way to the town.

Lawal alerted 15 soldiers guarding Chibok to send SOS to the nearest barracks about 30 miles away, an hour drive on a dirt road. However, help never came. The military says its reinforcements ran into an ambush.

The soldiers in Chibok fought but were outnumbered by the extremists. They made their way to the Chibok girl's school, where they captured dozens of girls. Police say 53 escaped on their own and 276 remain captive.

The following day, Jonathan was photographed dancing at a political party rally in northern Kano city, and newspapers asked what their leader was doing partying while the country was in turmoil over the kidnapping. The Defense Ministry announced that there were eight of the kidnapped girls' set-free, quoting the school principal. When the principal objected and demanded the military produce the rescued girls, it retracted its statement.

The parents said the locals did not see any soldiers looking for the girls. And a state senator said that every time he gave the military information of their whereabouts the insurgents moved camp.

The military denied any collusion with the extremists, and said it had been pursuing every lead. On May 1, it handed over responsibility, for all information about the girls, to Borno state officials.

For the past two weeks, Jonathan never even discusses the abducted girls in public. In his Easter Day message, he said only that his thoughts were with the families of those killed by insurgents, and the dozens wounded by the Abuja bombing.

Advertisement

Life

  • ESPYS party
    Athletes and celebrities hit the red carpet at Body at the ESPYS party
    Today's Buzz
  • Healthy balance
    Keeping a healthy balance is so important for your own well-being
    Camera
    15 Photos
  • Apollo
    NASA observes 45th anniversary of Apollo 11: One giant leap for mankind
    Camera
    14 Photos
  • Unique jewelry
    Nothing catches the eye or completes and outfit like a great piece of jewelry
    Camera
    12 Photos
  • Student Farmworker Alliance
    Student-Farmworker Alliance launches 'Boot the Braids' web site
    Camera
    15 Photos
  • Exercise
    Find out why you should exercise to compliment your diet
    Camera
    10 Photos

Related Videos:

  • Oklahoma City Archbishop calls Black Mass 'obviously horrendous'
    <div class="video-info" data-id="518230810" data-param-name="playList" data-provider="5min" data-url="http://pshared.5min.com/Scripts/PlayerSeed.js?sid=1304&width=480&height=401&playList=518230810&autoStart=true"></div>
  • The significance of forty days: Humans were made to last forever
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1m_sWJQm2fs?VQ=HD720&amp;allowfullscreen=true&amp;autoplay=1"></iframe>
  • Love God
    <iframe width="600" height="337" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GTsaewdZsqw?VQ=HD720&amp;allowfullscreen=true&amp;autoplay=1"></iframe>