Skip to main content
  1. Sports
  2. General Sports

Nietes and Fuentes set for rematch

See also

The stage has been set for the much-anticipated rematch between reigning WBO Light Flyweight Champion, Donnie Nietes, against the former WBO Minimum Weight Champion, Moises Fuentes. The first bout – while filled with fireworks – ended up in a controversial majority draw. A decision that appalled Fuentes’ team led by the legendary Mexican boxer, Marco Antonio Barrera.

It was a very competitive match that saw both pugilists emptying their tanks to eke out a victory but due to the decision being declared a draw, Nietes retained his belt while Fuentes flew home empty-handed. Donnie Nietes (32-1-4, 18KOs) will make his 5th title defense as he continues to make history in Philippine boxing. Nietes is 8-month shy from tying the record of the great Gabriel “Flash” Elorde who held a world title for 7 years.

Nietes has been a world champion since September of 2007 capturing the WBO Minimum weight title before moving to light flyweight and bringing home another WBO crown. During the Pinoy Pride 25 press conference at the Bayview Park Hotel, Manila, both fighters promised to step up another gear to make sure that the best man comes out on top and wins without any controversy.

"I won't run this time and I will win," the defending champion says. "He has to go over my dead body to win. I think I can knock him out" Nietes added. Fresh off of a 3-fight winning streak, Moises Fuentes (19-1-1, 10KOs), still believes he won the first bout and vowed to make sure he goes home with the belt this time. Moises gave a run for Niete’s money when they first met at the Waterfront Hotel & Casino in Cebu City last year.

His aggression and tenacity won the hearts of fans but he came up short at the end settling for a majority draw. This rematch is a moment of redemption for the Mexican warrior and he committed to level up the furry that he brings to the ring. "Nietes ran in the last fight and that's not how champions behave," the 28 years old challenger said. "If he comes to fight this time then it will be a good fight. I want to prove that I am the best." Pinoy Pride 25 will be held at the SM Mall of Asia Arena on May 10, 2014.

Advertisement