Celebrities often change their names and have some type of gimmick, trademark or brand so they can be easily recognized. So, what is Nicki Minaj's real name? And what is her trademark or brand so she cannot be mistaken for someone else?
Nicki Minaj's real name is Onika Tanya Maraj. While that is a beautiful name, you can't help from noticing that it doesn't have the same appeal as Nicki Minaj. Besides, Nicki Minaj is easier to pronounce and spell. It is no wonder she traded in her real name for her stage name.
Nicki, who just turned 32 on Dec. 8, is a Trinidadian-born American rapper, singer, songwriter, actress, and television personality. She was raised in Jamaica, Queens, New York City.
Nicki is the first female artist included on MTV's Annual Hottest MC List. The New York Times says some people consider her to be "the most influential female rapper of all time."
Her rapping is distinctive from others because of its fast flow, use of alter egos and accents, and notably British cockney. Her outlandish and colorful costumes, wigs, and heavy makeup have given her recognition as a fashion icon. However, recently she has toned down her appearance quite a bit.
In April 2013, Minaj became the most-charted female rapper in the history of the Billboard Hot 100, with over forty-four appearances.
Nicki has been honored with seven BET Awards, four American Music Awards, two MTV Music Awards, an MTV Europe Music Award, five Billboard Music Awards and Billboard's 2011 Rising Star. Nicki is the only female rapper to be featured on Forbes's Hip Hop Cash Kings list as No. 4 coming behind just P Diddy, Jay-Z and Dr. Dre, raking in $29 million.
Other interesting things about Nicki Minaj
- Nicki created her own app titled after her official website "MyPinkFriday."
- She designed her own slang dictionary the "Nictionary" for Android and iPhone users in 2010.
- She designed Pink Friday unisex fragrance that comes in a bottle in the likeness of Nicki's upper body.
- In April 2011, she helped launch Casio's TRYX digital camera in Times Square
- In April 2012, Nicki launched the Nokia Lumia 900 in Times Square followed by a performance of "Starships," "Super Bass," and "Right by My Side."
- She has endorsed several companies: Adidas, MAC Cosmetics, and Pepsi.
- In 2011, Mattel produced a custom Nicki Minaj-themed Barbie to be auctioned on charitybuzz and was valued at an estimate of $15,000 dollars.
Nicki is a Christian and has a kind heart. In the aftermath of the catastrophic Hurricane Sandy, she donated $15,000 to the Food Bank For New York City and held a turkey drive at her alma mater, P.S. 45 in New York.
Even though she has been in feuds with Lil' Kim and Mariah Carey, one can't help but see and hear that Nicki Minaj is talented.