After hosting multiple world champions in its 53 years of existence, Candlestick Park closes its doors following Week 16's edition of MNF between the Atlanta Falcons and San Francisco 49ers. According to a Dec. 22 ESPN report, NFL schedule 2013 information, NFL odds, predictions and free picks for tonight’s finale are now available.
At 10-4, the San Francisco 49ers are trying to hold on to the fifth spot in the NFC playoff standings, while the 4-10 Atlanta Falcons will simply be trying to spoil their hopes.
Opening kickoff is scheduled for 8:35 p.m. EST (7:35 p.m. CST/6:35 p.m. MST/5:35 p.m. PST) live on ESPN following Monday Night Countdown.
If NFL Week 16 oddsmakers prove to be on the money about their predictions, tonight's game will be decided by double-digits in the scoreboard.
According to Las Vegas' latest point spreads, the Niners [-14½] are favored by two touchdowns against the Dirty Birds [+14½] and the OVER/UNDER tallies 46½ points.
Against the spread free NFL picks statistics also support those notions, as Atlanta comes in with an ATS record of 5-9 on the year, compared to San Francisco's 10-4 ATS mark through 14 games.
From a pure head-to-head standpoint, there's more evidence to support the aforementioned NFL odds, with Jim Harbaugh's club outperforming Mike Smith's boys in the following statistical categories:
San Francisco 49ers Offense (NFL Rank)
- Points per game: 24.9 (12th)
- Total yards per game: 316.1 (25th)
- Pass yards per game: 179.1 (31st)
- Rush yards per game: 137.1 (5th)
Atlanta Falcons Offense (NFL Rank)
- Points per game: 22.1 (21st)
- Total yards per game: 341.5 (15th)
- Pass yards per game: 262.2 (8th)
- Rush yards per game: 79.3 (32nd)
San Francisco 49ers Defense (NFL Rank)
- Points per game: 16.3 (3rd)
- Total yards per game: 299.1 (2nd)
- Pass yards per game: 199.7 (4th)
- Rush yards per game: 99.4 (5th)
Atlanta Falcons Defense (NFL Rank)
- Points per game: 27.7 (27th)
- Total yards per game: 386.3 (28th)
- Pass yards per game: 254.9 (27th)
- Rush yards per game: 131.4 (29th)
NFL Week 16 Predictions - MNF Consensus Analysis
- Atlanta Spread: 42 percent
- San Francisco Spread: 58 percent
- OVER: 59 percent
- UNDER: 41 percent
It would be foolish to forget this is the National Football League, where anything can, and usually happens. And while the Falcons are clearly the inferior team, beating a club with the amount of talent Matt Ryan & Co. possess – by more than two touchdowns – seems a bit excessive for a nationally televised MNF game.
There's no doubt that one recognizes that the San Francisco 49ers are clearly the obvious pick to win the game straight-up. However, with that said, one will go out on a limb and predict it'll be the Atlanta Falcons the ones covering the spread in this evening's showdown.
Examiner Free NFL Picks: Atlanta Falcons [+14½]
Subscribe to receive NFL schedule 2013 information, along with ATS predictions, free NFL picks and odds for the upcoming 2014 NFL playoffs.