The Seattle Seahawks had a chance to solidify their spot at the top of the food chain on Monday night, but a sloppy win over the St. Louis Rams is not going to impress the rankings committee. Their 14-9 win actually had the Seahawks drop a spot behind the New Orleans Saints.
With only one team (Dallas) losing in the top 12, there will not be much change at all. The Kansas City Chiefs continued to do what they do best. They are still the only undefeated team left in the league, so until that changes, the Chiefs will remain at the top spot.
Here are the Top 12 NFL teams from CBSportsline.com
1. Kansas City Chiefs: The Chiefs are slowly becoming a dominant team that wins close games. Still, no team has scored more than 17 points in a single game this season. Jamaal Charles is a little banged up, but he should be ready to go on Sunday. Don’t disrespect Alex Smith or the Chiefs. Next game vs. Buffalo.
2. New Orleans Saints: The Saints came off their bye week with a thorough victory over Buffalo. The offense put up 35 points and they look like one of the favorites to clinch home field advantage in the NFC. New Orleans clearly looks the part on both sides of the ball. Next game vs. New York Jets.
3. Seattle Seahawks: The Monday night game was not pretty at all. The Seahawks still got the win, but their defense was tested up front. The Rams displayed a prolific running game against that aggressive front four. The offense was also dismal. They had one big play, otherwise, Seattle was shut down and battered.
4. Indianapolis Colts: The Colts lead the AFC South by two games over Tennessee, and they have a chance to put a chokehold on the division. They still have to replace the loss of Reggie Wayne. The Colts have the best wins in the NFL. Indianapolis had a bye week, so they should be ready for the second half of the season. Next game vs. Houston.
5. San Francisco 49ers: The 49ers have scored at least 31 points five straight weeks. In that span, they haven’t given up more than 20. San Francisco is starting to dominate as Colin Kaepernick gets more involved. Bye Week.
6. Denver Broncos: Early in the third, Denver was down 21-7 to Washington. Then they outscored the Redskins 38-0 to end the game. The Broncos have a much deserved bye week coming up. Von Miller notched his first sack and he is getting more comfortable with the Broncos’ defense. Denver also got their running game going a little bit. That will help Peyton Manning stay healthy. Bye Week.
7. Cincinnati Bengals: They just obliterated the Jets 49-9. During their four game winning streak, Cincinnati has beaten three AFC East teams. They have one more team on the schedule. Next game vs. Miami
8. Green Bay Packers: The Packers lost a majority of their pass catchers in recent weeks, but it hasn’t been a problem for Aaron Rodgers. They are also on a four game winning streak. In fact, the offense seems to be hitting a new level in recent weeks. Next game vs. Chicago.
9. New England Patriots: The Patriots continue to win ugly, but in a league where wins count, that’s all you can ask for. Well, New England would certainly like to produce in the passing game. The Patriots have a two game lead in the AFC East entering the bye week.
10. Detroit Lions: Detroit had the most amazing comeback of the NFL weekend. Thanks to a Dallas holding penalty, Detroit had just enough time to put a dagger in the Cowboys. Calvin Johnson caught 14 passes for 329 yards. That’s incredible. Detroit is second in the NFC North behind Green Bay. Bye Week
11. San Diego Chargers: The Chargers are coming off a bye week and a two game winning streak. Right now, every win is crucial for the third place AFC West team. Kansas City and Denver are running away with the division. Next game vs. Washington
12. Carolina Panthers: The Panthers haven’t had a winning record this decade, until now. It seems like they’ve found a formula for success, but must continue to strive for excellence. In their four wins, Carolina scored over 30 every game. In the three losses, they have combined for 36 points. Next game vs. Atlanta.