The Baltimore Ravens ended week 15’s scoring explosion with six field goals on Monday night. Baltimore was 60 yards away from dropping out of the top 12, but their win kept them in line for the playoffs. Not only is the wildcard berth available, but Cincinnati’s struggles have the Ravens thinking division title.
Three of the top four teams lost last week and the upsets started early. Thursday night saw Denver waste a chance to take another step towards a first round bye and home field advantage throughout.
Then New England went to Miami and lost to a division rival. While the Patriots are still a candidate for home field, they won’t get it if Kansas City or Denver wins out.
The only top four team not to stumble last week were the Seattle Seahawks. With their win, the Seahawks moved back into the top spot.
Here are the NFL Top 12 rankings
1. Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks held the Giants scoreless in a 23 point win. They won’t have to leave home again this season. That’s unless they make it to the Super Bowl. Welcome to the 12th Man. Will they clinch this week? Next game vs. Arizona.
2. San Francisco 49ers: Although they have the sixth seed in the NFC, the 49ers are becoming a healthy and dominant team. Their easy victory over Tampa Bay gives San Francisco four straight wins. Next game vs. Atlanta.
3. Denver Broncos: The Broncos dodged a bullet after that loss to San Diego. They finish the season with two winnable road games. They’ll need to win to secure home field advantage.
4. Kansas City Chiefs: Kansas City put up 56 points behind Jamaal Charles’ five touchdowns. They are still alive for the AFC West title. Next game vs. Indianapolis.
5. New Orleans Saints: All four losses have come on the road this season. They will likely have to win a road game to make a Super Bowl run. First, they need to win the division in a revenge game. Next game vs. Carolina.
6. Carolina Panthers: The Panthers used a block punt and interception to take out the Jets. Now their attention is on the NFC South title. This is the biggest game of their season. Next game vs. New Orleans
7. New England Patriots: New England lost a huge chance this weekend. Still, they are one win away from a playoff berth. Their seed is up in the air. Next game vs. Baltimore.
8. Arizona Cardinals: Arizona is right on the heels of San Francisco, Carolina and New Orleans. Are they destined to earn that wild card spot? The Cardinals can’t blow another fourth quarter lead and try to survive. If Arizona makes the playoffs, look out. Next game vs. Seattle.
9. Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens kicked six field goals to beat Detroit. They are on a four game winning streak and look like they’ll be fighting for the division crown. Next game vs. New England.
10. Indianapolis Colts: The Colts dominated Houston, but we will know a lot more after week 16. They already won the AFC South, so Indianapolis is playing for seeding. Next game vs. Kansas City.
11. Philadelphia Eagles: What were the Eagles doing on Sunday? Maybe it was the coaching rumors, but Philadelphia laid an egg in Minnesota. Every loss was followed by another loss this season. Philly must protect the home field with the NFC East on the line. Next game vs. Chicago.
12. Cincinnati Bengals: The Bengals did not start well and paid for it dearly. They still have a lead in the AFC North, but need two wins to secure the division title. Next game vs. Minnesota.