As far as the playoff picture goes (PLAYOFFS? PLAYOFFS!? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? PLAYOFFS?), some scenarios are pretty clear, others as muddled as your cousin Rachel's spiced rum cider (careful, that stuff's got a kick like you won't believe.) While Seattle has already punched their ticket to the 2013 postseason party, other spots, including a divison title can be clinched this week. It's somewhat confusing and can give you a headache if you don't read it properly.
The key here is this: Pay attention.., this is going to cause more confusion than a mouse in a burlesque show (to quote Foghorn Leghorn)...
Here's how things shape up as we enter week 14 in the National Football League.
2013 NFL PLAYOFF SCENARIOS FOR WEEK 14
Denver: the Broncos clinch a playoff spot with:
1) Denver win or tie OR
2) Miami loss or tie OR
3) Baltimore loss or tie (Denver holds the tie breaker with Baltimore head to head; Denver beat Baltimore 49-27 in Denver September 5th)
Kansas City: the Chiefs clinch a playoff spot with:
1) Kansas City win + Miami loss or tie OR
2) Kansas City win + Baltimore loss or tie OR
3) Kansas City tie + Miami loss OR
4) Kansas City tie + Baltimore loss
New England: the Pats clinch the AFC East with:
1) New England win + Miami loss or tie OR
2) New England tie + Miami loss (New England holds the tie breaker with Miami head to head; New England beat Miami 27-17 in Miami October 27th)
The Pats clinch a playoff spot with:
3) New England win + Baltimore loss or tie OR (New England plays at Baltimore December 22nd)
4) NE tie + BAL loss
Indianapolis: The Colts clinch the AFC South with:
1) Indianapolis win OR
2) Tennessee loss OR (Indianapolis holds the tie breaker with Tennessee head to head; Indianapolis swept season series with Tennessee
3) Indianapolis tie + Tennessee tie
Seattle: the Seahawks have clinched a playoff spot and can clinch the NFC West and a first round bye with:
1) Seattle win or tie
New Orleans: the Saints clinch a playoff spot with
1) New Orleans win + Philadelphia loss or tie + Dallas loss or tie + Arizona loss OR (New Orleans holds tiebreakers with Dallas and Arizona head to head; New Orleans beat Arizona 31-7 in New Orleans September 22, New Orleans beat Dallas 49-17 in New Orleans November 10)
2) New Orleans win + Philadelphia loss or tie + Dallas loss or tie + San Francisco loss + Arizona tie
Note: If both Dallas and Philadelphia games end in a tie, New Orleans does not clinch.
Carolina: the Panthers clinch a playoff spot with:
1) Carolina win + Arizona loss + San Francisco loss + Philadelphia loss or tie + Dallas loss or tie (Carolina holds the tie breaker with San Francisco head to head; Carolina beat San Francisco 10-9 in San Francisco November 10; Arizona holds the tie breaker with Carolina head to head; Arizona beat Carolina 22-6 in Glendale October 6)
Note: If both Dallas and Philadelphia games end in a tie, Panthers do not clinch.