The San Francisco 49ers' quarterback is just one of 13 former Wolf Pack players on NFL rosters as of Saturday afternoon. And that number could even increase before the season opens Thursday night since four ex-Pack players just got released this week -- safety Jonathan Amaya, defensive end Dontay Moch, offensive tackle Jeff Nady and wide receiver Tray Session -- and could be picked up soon.
A quick look at the 13 Pack players on current NFL rosters:
- Colin Kaepernick, 49ers: Now in his third year, Kaepernick is the 49ers' unquestioned starter at quarterback after leading the team to the Super Bowl last year.
- Chris Barker, Dolphins: Barker, in his rookie season, is a backup guard in Miami behind John Jerry.
- Rishard Matthews, Dolphins: The wide receiver is in his second season in Miami and is the backup to Mike Wallace.
- Duke Williams, Bills: The rookie is playing free safety in Buffalo behind starter Jairus Byrd.
- Zach Sudfeld, Patriots: Sudfeld made the New England roster this summer as a free agent.
- Josh Mauga, Jets: The veteran is now in his fourth year in New York as a backup linebacker to starter Demario Davis.
- Khalid Wooten, Titans: The rookie is a cornerback in Tennessee behind starter Jason McCourty.
- James-Michael Johnson, Browns: Now in his second year, JMJ is a backup linebacker in Cleveland.
- Virgil Green, Broncos: Green is in his third year in Denver and plays behind Joel Dreesen, Jacob Tamme and Julius Thomas at tight end.
- Kaelin Burnett, Raiders: Teamed with his brother Kevin in Oakland, also a linebacker, Burnett is the backup to starter Sio Moore.
- Isaiah Frey, Bears: Frey is the backup to starter Charles Tillman at cornerback in Chicago. He'll see plenty of time on the field as the top nickel back.
- Nate Burleson, Lions: Now in his 11th year, Burleson starts at wide receiver in Detroit opposite Calvin Johnson.
- Harvey Dahl, Rams: Dahl is in his ninth year in the NFL and will start for St. Louis at guard once again.