The next Bond movie is coming in 2016 and MGM said they are looking for someone to direct it. According to Renegade Cinema on March 20, Sam Mendes won't be coming back for the franchise and MGM hopes to replace him soon.
Mendes plans on working on his stage work sand said that the quick turnaround needed for the next Bond movie made it impossible for him to sign on for it. His only Bond effort so far, "Skyfall," passed the $1 billion mark at the box office making it the highest grossing movie in the franchise.
Daniel Craig will return as James Bond and MGM said they are working on the story for the film right now. The article did not mention if a screenwriter was in place, but before he left, Mendes and John Logan worked on the next Bond movie idea, so there is a chance that MGM moves on with that idea. There is also the chance that they will hold off on Mendes' idea, until they see if he will return for the next Bond movie after this one.
There is no one in line to direct the next Bond movie, but it shouldn't be hard to find someone who wants to take 007 on his next adventure. The only drawback is that they have Mendes' giant success to live up to.
For e-mail updates whenever a new article is posted, please click here and then click the subscribe button. Also feel free to follow me on: Twitter @starvingdogs, GooglePlus or get more Hot TV and Pop Culture Gossip on Facebook.
Shawn S. Lealos is a member of the Oklahoma Film Critics Circle, the professional film critics’ organization of Oklahoma. He is also working on a book about the Stephen King dollar babies called “Dollar Deal.” To read more of his writing, visit shawnlealos.net.