February 15, 2014
We previously covered the science behind Newton Shoes. Here is what the company advertises its 10 laws of better running.
- Get a proper fit: It’s best to work with a running expert to determine the best fit. However, in general you can stand with your heel snug to the back of the shoe. There should be a thumb’s width of room in front of your longest toe. The ball of the foot should then line up over the middle of the red lugs on the bottom of the shoe.
- Insert custom orthotics: If needed, you can remove the sock liner and place your personal orthotics inside. This gives you the ultimate ride by combining the most advanced running shoe with your personal needs.
- Practice good form: When running you should lean slightly forward, shorten your stride, and have a quick cadence. You will both naturally and with the aid of the lugs, land on your midfoot under your hips. Make sure not to run on your toes.
- Work the technique of Land-Lever-Lift: The ideal technique involves land quietly with each foot strike under your hips, lever off the front of the lugs on the shoe, and finally life your knee to start the next stride.
- Adapt slowly: To adjust to the new shoes and to get your body trained to the new running technique, you should start slow. Focus on proper form and only go for a mile run a couple times a week for the first two weeks. After that point, you can increase your distance and times as your body makes the adjustments.
- Reduce friction: Ideally you should land lightly and run efficiently. Running with heavy feet, landing your heels, and pushing off too much from your toes create excessive pounding that adds unneeded shock to your muscles, tendons, and bones.
- Learn from your shoes: You can study the wear patterns on the bottom of your shoes to get an idea of how you run. You can learn and adjust to improve your form. Talking to a running professional can also provide great insight.
- Keep them clean: To clean your new shoes, wash with mild soap and water, then let them air dry.
- Visit them online: You can go to affiliate website, for more information, videos, and shared stories from all that are joining the Newton running craze.
- Have Fun !!