The UK Telegraph gave Beatles fans the first looks at Mark Lewisohn's long awaited “All These Years: Tune In” Sept. 20 with two separate excerpts from the first volume of his three-part Beatles biography.
One excerpt, “The Birth of the Band,” glimpsed at the band's beginnings and revealed that meeting John Lennon was a life changer in more ways than one for Paul McCartney. Lewisohn says Paul McCartney was well-behaved and had even sung in a church choir.
“Once I got to know John it all changed. I went off in a completely new direction,” Lewisohn quotes McCartney.
In a second excerpt, “The Making of Lennon,” the author says the death of his mother Julia changed Lennon's attitude toward authority forever.
“Coming to believe the driver who killed his mother was a ‘drunk off-duty cop’, his respect for authority, and especially the law, crumbled and would only ever worsen,” he wrote.
Lewisohn also told the UK Telegraph in a separate interview something that every Beatles fan knows all too well.
“From the very beginning, before they ever became famous, they kept moving on, and no one could catch up with them.”
The first book, titled “All These Years: Tune In,” covers everything up to Dec. 31, 1962, and can be pre-ordered on Amazon.com in the U.S., as well as Amazon.co.uk in Great Britain. The smaller mass-market U.S. hardback with 1,200 pages will be released Oct. 29 by Crown Archetype. The mass-market U.K hardback with 1,000 pages, will be released Oct. 10 from Little, Brown.
The premium edition ('author's cut') hardback, with approximately 2,000 pages and 780,000 words, will come out in the UK from Little, Brown on Nov. 13. No U.S. edition of the “author's cut” has been announced.
- U.S. mass market (shorter 960 pages) book version
- UK mass market version
- Canada mass market version
- Japan mass market version (UK import)
- Japan mass market version (U.S. import)
- U.S. mass market (U.S.) ebook version
- Canada mass market (Canada) ebook
- UK mass market shorter ebook
- Japan mass market (U.S.) ebook
- Japan mass market ebook (UK version)
- UK Extended Special Edition (1,728 pages)
- Japan Extended Special Edition from Amazon.co.jp
- UK Extended Special Edition ebook (part 1 only, only in UK at present)
- Japan Extended Special Edition ebook (part 1, UK import)
- Japan Extended Special Edition ebook (part 2, UK import)
We love to write about the Beatles. Don't miss the best buzz about the Beatles in all our Beatles column pages at Beatles Examiner, Paul McCartney Examiner, George Harrison Examiner and Ringo Starr Examiner. Subscribe and you'll get first word when we publish.
Copyright Steve Marinucci. Please do not reprint in full on other sites without permission. Connect with us on Facebook and Pinterest. And don't miss our weekly Beatles news podcast “Things We Said Today” available first on Fab4Radio.com on the weekends, then on iTunes and Podbean.com.