The wedding bells chimed as Kim Kardashian paraded down the aisle in a sleekly fitting Givenchy Haute Couture gown on Saturday, according to E News. Her body is the result of months devoted to dieting using a high fat low carb ketogenic diet based on the Atkins plan. We've got the skinny on how it works.
The low carb high fat (LCHF) diet that's the cornerstone of the Atkins plan shifts your body into fat-burning mode. It involves eating protein, fats and small amounts of carbohydrates such as vegetables. The Atkins phases take you through a quick-start experience designed for rapid weight loss, followed by subsequent phases that add more variety. The diet is detailed in several books, including "New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great" and "The New Atkins for a New You Cookbook: 200 Simple and Delicious Low-Carb Recipes in 30 Minutes or Less."
Kim had previously used the Atkins diet to shed pounds, and when she wanted to take off her post-pregnancy weight, she turned to it again. Determined to look fabulous in her wedding gown, she experienced "Atkins mania," a source told OK magazine. She banned starchy carbohydrates such as pasta and bread from her home, focusing on protein and green veggies.
“What distinguishes the Atkins diet is the absence of a lot of carbohydrates, so that leaves out a lot of choices,” said Jonny Bowden in an interview with E News. Jonny is the author of "Living Low Carb: Controlled-Carbohydrate Eating for Long-Term Weight Loss".
And Jonny's a fan of the Atkins diet because "there really isn't a downside to it." The plan was recently updated to include more of an emphasis on fiber and healthy fats, both of which are detailed in "The New Atkins Made Easy: A Faster, Simpler Way to Shed Weight and Feel Great -- Starting Today."
Among the proven benefits of these types of weight loss plans:
- Metabolic syndrome often becomes reversed.
- Cholesterol patterns get better.
- Blood pressure levels get reduced.
- Blood sugar levels improve.
- Low carb diets result in higher percentages of fat loss.
- Studies show that low carb diets result in more rapid weight loss than low calorie.
- Eating low carb reduces your appetite naturally, so that you avoid the stress of hunger pangs.
What differentiates the Atkins diet from other high fat low carb diets? Three elements:
- It takes the dieter through phases, allowing you to add more carbohydrates back in as you near your goal weight.
- It provides for and even encourages certain processed foods from Atkins, such as Atkins Endulge candies.
- It provides diet-specific books, including a workbook that offers help with shopping and menu-planning: "The New Atkins for a New You Workbook: A Weekly Food Journal to Help You Shed Weight and Feel Great."