Skip to main content

See also:

Newark Academy once stood at Washington Park

At Washington Park, the plaque on this stone tells us the story of the Newark Academy.
At Washington Park, the plaque on this stone tells us the story of the Newark Academy.
Lucy Santos

Can you picture General George Washington fighting in the American Revolutionary War in Newark, New Jersey leading his troops to victory? At Washington Park, the statue of General Washington is a reminder of Washington’s valor during the American Revolutionary War. The bronze statue of Washington has a connection with a huge rock that contains a plaque dedicated to the Newark Academy, which was located at Washington Park. Alexander Macwhartor, who was a good friend and advisor of Washington, founded the Newark Academy in 1774.

At the Newark Academy, students received a top notch education that prepared them for college. The school was used as a hospital during the American Revolutionary War, a place where wounded soldiers were treated. In 1780, the Newark Academy was burned by British troops.

After the fire, the Newark Academy was rebuilt in 1792 and established on Broad Street in Newark. In 1930, the academy was relocated to First Street in Newark. Ever since 1964, the Newark Academy is now located in Livingston, New Jersey and still remains there today.

The City of Newark is rapidly changing with many new buildings that are currently being constructed, and there are plans to create many more in the future. However, the remnants of Newark’s great past still remain.