A growing chorus of voices is opposing Governor Andrew Cuomo's recently announced proposal to liberalize NY's already liberal abortion laws.
New Yorkers for Life has been formed by a coalition of pro-life groups across New York State, with a new website, focusing on opposition to Cuomo's radical agenda. The broad coalition of men and women of different denominations believe that New York needs to reduce abortion, not expand it.
Gov. Andrew Cuomo, in his State of the State Address on January 9, 2013, vowed to
fight for passage of the radical “Reproductive Health Act.” The bill would remove
virtually any restrictions on abortion in New York and:
- Create a fundamental right to unlimited abortion on demand, through all nine months of pregnancy, for any reason.
- Endanger women’s lives and health by allowing non-doctors to perform abortions.
- Allow late-term abortions to be performed in outpatient clinics.
- Potentially compel all medical facilities, even religious hospitals, to perform abortions.
- Decriminalize coerced abortions.
- Make it difficult or impossible to enact any limitations or restrictions on abortion in the future.
New Yorkers for Life is planning a candlelight vigil for light at the state capital in Albany, on Monday, April 15 at 5 p.m. The silent protest will take place in West Capital Park, outside the State Capitol Building in Albany, N.Y. See more here.