Lost in the commotion of another potential quarterback controversy is the fact that there are several other storylines that should be followed during the New York Jets organized team activities. Here is a quick list of players to keep an eye on as the Jets get ready for mini-camp and training camp.
1) Antwan Barnes- The speedy outside linebacker will be trying to come back from a knee injury that forced him to miss 11 games in 2013. Barnes is a situational pass rusher that, when healthy, can help disrupt protection and free up other defenders.
2) Brian Winters - The Jets left guard struggled in his rookie season which could have him fighting for the starting spot in 2014.
3) Oday Aboushi, Will Campbell- With right guard Willie Colon out until training camp due to an injury both of these second year players have a chance to earn some playing time. If these guys struggle Gang Green could look to a free agent veteran as insurance.
4) Breno Giacomini- The Jets new right tackle fresh off signing a 4-year/$18 million dollar deal will have to start building some chemistry with his linemates. Giacomini should add some toughness and tenacity to New York's line.
5) Dee Milliner-With the departure of Antonio Cromartie to Arizona the spotlight moves to Milliner as the Jets best cover corner. Dee showed flashes towards the end of the 2013 season and must raise his game to the next level in 2014.
6) Dimitri Patterson- The former Miami Dolphins cornerback will be looking to earn a starting spot opposite Dee Milliner. Patterson, who has battled health issues, will face stiff competition from Darrin Walls, Kyle Wilson, and Dex McDougle.
7) Bilal Powell- The reliable running back could be fighting for a roster spot behind Chris Johnson and Chris Ivory. Powell will be competing with Daryl Richardson, Alex Green, and Mike Goodson (if not released).
8) Quinton Coples- The Jets linebacker finished last season with 3.5 sacks in the final 5 games and will be looking to make a bigger impact in 2014. If Coples can become a consistent pass rushing threat the Jets front seven could be amongst the best in the NFL.
9) Stephen Hill- The much maligned Hill will be amongst several wide receivers trying to earn playing time. If Stephen does not put together a very solid training camp he could find himself looking for another team to play for.
10) Antonio Allen- How much will the addition of rookie Calvin Pryor change Allen's role on defense? Allen made some big plays in 2013 including the ability to effectively cover tight ends.