On Wednesday, Feb. 12, Examiner.com attended Stylecaster's Fashion Week lounge, which catered to the downtown fashionistas and Milk show attendees. During our hectic fashion week schedule we didn't always have time to go back home. Buddakan was a little oasis, during those quick one-hour breaks that fashionistas had in between shows.
Hosted by the wonderful “StyleCaster Media Group” the ambiance of the restaurant could not have been more peaceful and relaxing. The soothing music followed us as we walked room to room discovering more relaxing services to enjoy.
Beauty touch ups were available by the pros of “Prettier Please”, as well as massages from the wonderful ”Beauty Booked” and participants also had the chance to get their nails done with the great “Mischo Beauty”. Those were some of the pampering options attendees could receive, while at the lounge. As we sat and collected our thoughts, we enjoyed some dim sum provided by the restaurant paired with a refreshing beverage - bottled water from Aquacai, a natural premium water from the rainforest of Panama. By the time we left the lounge, we were well-rested and feeling great right in time for our next event.
The IRC New Roots takes ‘Lending a helping hand’ to another level by helping refugees from third world countries plant and grow their own cultural and healthy foods. The purpose of this act is to help the refugees honor and memorialize their backgrounds and customs. With this purpose, the IRC assists 22 cities in the United States as well as internationally including destinations Africa, Asia, Europe, and the UK. The IRC New Roots prioritizes the main needs of the organization; staying true to its purpose with community gardening, food access and their micro training farm program, which makes food more affordable for the community, and its consumers.
In the spirit of New York Fashion Week 2014, the new roots held a pop up shop on Feb. 10 at the Empire Hotel in Manhattan, New York, which featured celebrity chef David Burke’s organic salads. The dining was very healthy. It consisted of a lot of vegetables and chicken, which was incredibly surprisingly delicious. The drinks consisted of Suja Essentials, which carried flavors like Carrot Apple, Cherry Cucumber, Chocolate charge, Jasmine Tea and apple pineapple lemon. Everyone who attended seemed to be passionate in good spirit for the cause. Fantastic companionship, fantastic food, fantastic purpose. More info can be found here.
- Alexander Wang Fall/Winter 2014 post-show party was held at Gilded Lily. It featured a performance by Sharaya J and BANJI dancers and DJ Sets by Baauer and Jesse Marco. Notables who joined Alexander Wang included Angel Haze, Karen Elson, Joan Smalls, Hanne Gaby Odiele, Kasia Struss, Anna Ewers, Vanessa Traina Snow, Aluna Francis, Angela Lindvall and Caroline de Maigret. NARS created looks for our performer Sharaya J and dancers and provided a #NARSissist entry mirror for guests. Absolut created specialty cocktails named “White Now”, “Infrared” and “The Absolut Mule” and provided Absolut Elyx bottle service. The Fancy provided late night popsicles. Peroni provided beer beverages to guests. Fiji kept guests hydrated as they danced to a performance by Sharaya J, and DJ Sets by Baauer and Jesse Marco.
- FIJI Water (and over 2,000 FIJI Straws!) were passed out throughout many runway shows including: Diane Von Furstenberg, Rodarte, Marc by Marc Jacobs, Michael Kors, Hugo Boss, Marchesa and Marc Jacobs. The starry front row at the Marchesa show at the NY Public Library on Wednesday eve included Katie Holmes, Anna Kendrick, Ireland Baldwin, Tyra Banks, Olivia Palermo and Sarah Paulson.
- Orlando Bloom, Brad Goreski, Marlon Wayans, Sidney and Thurman Sewall, SZA, among others, celebrated Fashion Week at rag & bone's after party at Butter Group's newest West Village hotspot Up&Down. Guests sipped on SVEDKA specialty cocktails, toasting to a successful show, while Theophilus London took his turn in the DJ booth on Feb. 7.
- Joe Jonas, Mia Moretti, Andrew Rosen, Lily Kwong, David LaChappelle, Kate Foley, Kyleigh Kuhn, Mickey Boardman, Chelsea Leyland, Atlanta de Cadenet Taylor and Laura Love, among others celebrated Fashion Week alongside Prabal Gurung at Butter Group's newest West Village hotspot Up&Down. While his show that took place earlier in the day was interrupted by a streaker wearing a trench coat and a crown, Gurung poked fun at the event by giving partygoers crowns to wear throughout the night. The crowd toasted with cocktails by Belvedere as Honey Dijon DJ'd downstairs. Later in the night everyone was treated to performances by Denitia and Sene, as well as rapper Stalley on Feb. 8.
- Victor Cruz, Mia Moretti, Tyson Chandler, Matt Harvey and Theophilus London, among others, celebrated Fashion Week at Public School's after party at Butter Group's newest West Village hotspot Up&Down. Guests sipped on Corzo specialty cocktails, while toasting to a successful show on Feb. 9.
- DivaGalsDaily.com hosted the inaugural "Th Color of Beauty Awards," celebrating people of color within the style world, on Feb. 4, 2014. The series of events honored supermodel Beverly Johnson, who became the first black model to appear on the cover of Vogue in 1974, nearly 40 years ago. The momentous occasion included three panels fostering intelligent conversation on fashion and luxury, entrepreneurship and beauty in relation to the multicultural consumer, held at Eisner & Lubin Auditorium at New York University. The event honored nine winners for their continuing contributions to fashion, beauty, culture and community. Honorees in attendance were presented a plaque recognizing their contributions. They include:
Beverly Johnson, Fashion Icon Award,
Pikolinos, Entrepreneurial Excellence Award,
Karen Mitchell, Style Star Award,
Bisila Bokoko, Fashion With Compassion Award,
Siamanda Chege, Social Entrepreneur Award,
Fashion Fair Cosmetics, Icon Innovator Award,
Kimmie Smith, Fashion Influencer of the Year and
Chiku Awali African Dance, Arts and Culture, Inc., Cultural Innovator Award. Priyanka Chopra was also recognized as Role Model of the Year.
The event was presented by: Hanes Hosiery, Pikolinos, Johnson Publications, Fashion Fair Cosmetics, Iceberg Vodka, Strive Trips, Chiku Awali African Dance, Arts & Culture, Inc., UBER and Langham Hotels.
Igee Okafor and Brianna Bicking contributed reporting.