Create a healthy Italian meal without the extra calories. Substitute those higher-calorie ingredients with healthier options.
Creamy Spinach Lasagna:
5 cups of spring water
2 cups of clean raw spinach
1/2 cup of Philadelphia cream cheese (low-fat or whipped)
1/2 cup of shredded Fontal cheese
1 teaspoon of freshly minced garlic
1/4 cup of Portabella mushrooms (thinly sliced)
1/3 cup of sun-dried tomatoes
1 teaspoon of Oregano
1 teaspoon of parsley flakes
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1 tablespoon of salt
1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup of red wine vinegar
1 box of whole wheat lasagna noodles
Directions: Preheat oven to 400°F
1. Boil one cup of water in a two quart stock pot. Pour in two tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, half teaspoon of salt, and oregano leaves into the pot.
2. Cut off stems and clean spinach thoroughly.
3. Slowly add spinach; one cup at a time until spinach decreases in size.
4. Adjust heat temperature to low; cook spinach for approximately five minutes.
5. Line a 9 x 11 baking pan with aluminum foil. Spray foil with cooking spray to help keep food product from sticking during baking.
6. In another stock pot, boil four cups of water with a teaspoon of salt and extra virgin olive oil.
7. Remove lasagna noodles from packaging; break noodle sheets in half.
8. Place noodles carefully in boiling water; follow cooking instructions from package.
9. Rinse noodles in cold water then set to the side.
10. Drain spinach; add cream cheese, mushrooms, red wine vinegar, parsley flakes, black pepper and garlic.
11. Place spinach on low heat and stir ingredients for two minutes.
12. Remove spinach from heat surface; use a strainer to remove excess liquid.
13. Place 1/3 cup of spinach in the bottom of the baking pan; spread evenly.
14. Add a layer of lasagna noodles; top with 1/2 contents of shredded cheese and sun-dried tomatoes.
15. Repeat second layer with lasagna, spinach and sun-dried tomatoes; top final layer with Fontal cheese.
16. Place spinach lasagna in the center of an oven and bake at 400°F for 30 minutes.
Feel free to add chunks of white meat chicken or shrimp for added protein