I concocted this recipe as a way to achieve a healthier submarine sandwich. Feel free to top with your favorite veggies, mustards, hummus, etc.
To find everything you need to make this great sandwich, shop your local Meijer.
I had intended to make grilled cheese sub sandwiches on the fresh bread I made, but when I started digging around in the fridge I found all kinds of goodies to make veggie style subs.
- 1 whole wheat sub bun (bread machine recipe follows)
- Dijon mustard
- sliced cheese (I used Muenster, Provolone, baby Swiss)
- roasted red pepper
- green olives
- red onion
Whole wheat sub bun
- 2 t bread machine yeast
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 t salt
- 2 T sugar
- 2 T olive oil
- 1 cup water, as needed
- Place all ingredients in your bread machine.
- Select the dough cycle and press start.
- Keep an eye on the dough in the first couple minutes to see if additional water or flour is required.
- When the dough cycle is complete, take the dough out of the machine and place in a well greased bowl, and roll til well covered with oil.
- Cover and leave to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Knead the risen dough lightly.
- Roll the dough into four submarine shapes.
- Place on pizza stone, well greased baking tray or pizza pan.
- Bake buns at 450 degrees til golden brown. Cool completely.
- Slice bun in half crosswise, then split lengthwise, leaving a "hinge". Top with mustard and cheese.
- Broil til cheese is golden and melted.
- Load up with your fave veggies.