One new years, I found a hundred dollar bill on the ground just past midnight. My friends and I were in front of a speakeasy in Chinatown talking to the bouncer, and in the rain, I found it like a golden ticket! Free drinks were flowing our way the whole night, and I told myself I wasn’t going to spend it until I graduated from college. I pinned the crispy bill to my cork board and it served as artwork, lasting for about 5 months until I was pinching pennies and had to buy me a good ol’ Thai dinner. It’s goals like this that make me so nonchalant about New Years resolutions.
We lived through the apocalypse, and now our goals for 2013 shall commence. What’s on the list to motivate and help young 20-somethings morph into their fabulous selves? It’s that time again to make new years resolutions, the majority too much of a lifestyle change to even dare to conquer. To pay rent on time, to not spend money on worthless things (like $30 hand cream), to steam bath once a month, to save at least a two thousand dollars, to meditate 15 minutes a day, and to travel. Oh! and let’s not forget about the infamous goal to “lose weight and get healthy.” Much like the Mayan prophecy for post-2012, it involves adopting a more natural diet, and green living habits.
Personally, I am starting the new years off totally different by moving into a new apartment, new bedding from Restoration Hardware, and a liberating fresh start thanks to the family-owned and operated Joseph Anthony Retreat Spa and Salon. Indulge in the Alpine Herbal mild steam treatment which concentrates on your shoulders and upper body and also warms your lower extremities. It’s the perfect detoxification for your skin coupled with the rasul ceremony therapy, which is complete with a sensual mud bath and misty rain shower to reset your spiritual and mental core strength. The the dimly lit spa with quiet hallways and welcoming staff is located in suburban Philadelphia and makes the pleasure principle of total relaxation more than needed. Plan a girls day every six weeks to keep you balanced and grounded maintaining your most unique self.
Let 2013 be the year of the facial, the year that probiotics becomes a part of your breakfast regimen. Whatever your goals are: to wear strappy heels, to apply eye cream, to detox every two weeks, to not drunk text, to color block every other day, to donate to local charities, to run a half-marathon, to invest in more lingerie, it’s hard to see a goal through but with planning and baby steps, you will accomplish them.
I was reading this month’s issue of Elle Magazine and finally saw their piece on Lani Hay come to fruition. A couple years ago, when I was writing for Washington Life Magazine, I covered an event hosted by the Creative Coalition and Elle, Ms. Hay was being recognized for her work in technology as an air intelligence officer in the US military. I was intrigued that a woman of Asian-Pacific heritage was representing the future of war and security on an international stage. There she stood on stage, in her thirties, with a body-conscious black dress on, a smokey eye and glamorous accessories to complete the look. I was inspired and empowered to morph into the role of political smarty pants and fashionista; Ms. Hay is the modern day Tomb Raider. The ceremony made me think about how life can bring about many achievements if you let it. I chatted with Robbie Myers about Ms. Hay and her impressively 3-page long CV (that could lead her to a presidential nominee in 2016) over tea at the Ritz Carlton DC. Now, just two years or so later, as I contemplate how goals can transpire to success, time and dedication are the common denominators, when everything comes full circle. Keep your goals aligned.
Here are some goals and products to help you seem them through.
- Take a class outside of your job (learn a new language, learn to code, learn to paint, join a creative writing group, etc.) https://www.coursera.org/ and http://www.levoleague.com/ are great resources to boost your career.
- Start a skin care regimen: Visit the Joseph Anthony Salon Spa for a facial and a free skin consultation. (610) 459-4663
- . Embrace a stylish start with fresh florals in your home to enlighten your senses and get going to achieve your goals! Studies show that florals can even make men seem more attractive to women and actually help you focus better. January 1st freshens up our souls and invigorates our need for change. 1-800-FLOWERS.COM
- Healthy eating starts with cookware: Invest in Swiss Diamond Cookware, recommended by the American Vegetarian Association for the preparation of vegetarian and vegan recipes, making it a great tool for anyone looking to incorporate more meatless meals into their diet. http://www.swissdiamond.com/
- Start a easy and fun at home fitness routine: Kristin Mcgee's S3 Yoga and Pilates workout is the perfect living room routine that will get your feeling amazing and toned! check out video here: http://www.youtube.com/user/kristinmmcgee