This is one of the better combination exercises you’ll ever see.
The reason is that you get to work your entire core while simultaneously targeting every muscle of your legs – including your glutes and inner and outer thighs!
Plus, since you’ll be holding a pair of weights over your head the whole time you’ll also be getting a fantastic shoulder stabilizing workout.
I want to get right to the video, but let me first explain the exercise.
Its called a Dumbbell Overhead Dynamic Lunge and it can be done either forward or backwards (for people who have knee issues).
Here are the main thigh thinning and tummy tightening benefits:
1. Works every muscle of your core by resisting rotation and from tilting forward or back
2. Targets every muscle in your legs by decelerating forward into the lunge and accelerating back to the starting position.
3. Great static shoulder exercise for anyone who wants to improve their shoulder strength
4. Metabolic based exercise to burn body fat while toning your body
The main pointers I want you to stay focused on during this movement are:
1. Not allowing your knee to go over your front toe
2. Taking a long enough lunge to get your glutes more involved
3. Keeping your arms/elbows straight overhead the whole set
4. Keeping your upper body tall the entire time
5. Not letting your feet roll in or your heels pop up as you step into your lunge
6. Aim for 20 total repetitions – 10 on each side for 2-3 sets
Lastly, I always ask my clients to breathe in as they step into the lunge and exhale as they are pushing back to the starting position. This will give you more explosive power as you breathe out to get back up out of the lunge.
Now that you know what this fantastic Dumbbell Overhead Dynamic Lunge is all about it’s time to see it in action:
(just click the link above to watch the video)
I hope you enjoyed the brand new exercise and feel free to add it in place of another high repetition leg exercises!
Committed to your success,
Stephen Cabral, CSCS, CPT, NS
Author of Fatlossity, Lose5in7 Weight Loss System
Health Consultant for MTV, NutritionData, Diet.com, Gather, EDGE