The U.S. Department of Agriculture(USDA) released a new report showing that Texas is the 2nd hungriest state in the nation. This sad news is in line with local need for food assistance as the North Texas Food Bank (NTFB) struggles to meet steady demand, despite a 12% reduction in donations compared to last year. You can help support NTFB in putting food on plates this holiday season. The North Texas Food Bank calls for support as donations fall short for the holiday need.
According to the USDA Household Food Security report:
- Ranking Texas the 2nd hungriest state in the nation (behind only Arkansas), with 17.4 percent of Texas households at risk of hunger between 2007 and 2009, up 1.1 percent from the prior three-year period and well above the national number 14.7 percent.
- 8.8 million Texas households are unable to provide all members with enough food for an active healthy life.
- The new USDA report reflects 2009 data, in the middle of the recession. Since hunger typically lags behind unemployment, that number today is almost undoubtedly worse. Full report – http://www.ers.usda.gov/publications/err108/
- The USDA hunger data backs the local need as NTFB is calling for urgent help in meeting its $6.5 million fundraising goalby the end of December.
HOW TO HELP: $1 = 4 Meals
Through its holiday “Hungry Today” campaign http://www.ntfb.org/, NTFB is asking the community to:
- Donate or host a fund or “virtual food drive” online - http://ntfb.org/hungry_today.cfm
- “Text to Give (NEW!) Simply text NTFB to 85944 to make a quick and easy $10 donation.