A recent survey and resulting report from SDL titled "The Modern Traveler: A Look at Customer Engagement int he Travel Industry" revealed findings regarding holiday and vacation travel.
- Almost 80 percent of consumers make travel arrangements online.
- Just 5 percent of U.S. consumers book travel in person.
- A positive online or Web experience is important or very important for 84 percent of consumers.
- Over 60 percent of people use mobile apps when traveling (75 percent of U.S. travelers, 65 percent of Australian and 50 percent of U.K. travelers).
- Email is preferred for travel reminders (83 percent of respondents) like airline reservations, hotel check-in times and event tickets.
- On vacation, almost 70 percent of consumers completely or almost completely unplug (74 percent of U.K. consumers and 60 percent of U.S. consumers).
- Nearly one-third of consumers share their vacation stories and pictures via social media, but mostly after they return.
In their survey, SDL Campaign Management and Analytics surveyed 4,000 consumers from the U.K., U.S. and Australia.