Exciting news for dog fanciers! The Westminster Kennel Club introduced its brand new, official smartphone application for the 2013 Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show. The app is available now, free, from iTunes store and Google Play.
The app's features include:
- Live streaming video from each show ring and a roving camera;
- Map and directory, especially helpful since the Pier 92 and 94 locations are new;
- Venue information, including directions and public transportation information;
- Show schedule by ring and by breed;
- Judging program by judge and by breed;
- Breed information with photos and easy to find show schedule;
- Westminster 101: Dog show basics which are surprisingly necessary when one is new to viewing dog shows;
- History of the show;
- Glossary: Thank you!
The only feature that is hard to find, in my opinion, is the ability to quickly view what is happening in each ring at a specific time in the way one can view one's calendar appointments in other smart apps (picture the weekly view with the days of the week as the rings of the show). If one looks up the show schedule by Breed, it is possible to scroll through the schedule by day and time. This portion of the user interface is a bit awkward and it would be nice to see the menu offer "by time" as a separate option. Maybe next year!
It dazzles the mind to think of viewing live video of the action in distant rings when there is a pause between dogs in the ring in front of one. What will they think of next?
137th Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show
Monday, February 11, 2013
Tuesday, February 12, 2013