“Women’s Health” magazine and its fitness editor Jen Ator have compiled hundreds of exercise, food and healthy-living tips, swaps and tricks in its latest book, “Shape-Up Shortcuts” (Rodale, $18), which hit bookstores Tuesday. Ator was on the “Today” show Wednesday morning to discuss the fastest ways to lose 20 or more pounds, 10 pounds or 5 pounds.
Those strategies are only a small part of the 334-page softcover book, which features strategies from fitness experts that include:
- More than 20 workouts that take less than 30 minutes, with lots of color photos that show you the proper technique.
- Simple food swaps, easy recipes and kitchen techniques that promise to make eating healthier easier. There’s a great 2-page spread that offers a “Bad, Good, Better, Best” chart for breakfasts, salads, chips, and chicken dishes.
- Hundreds of tips, which include ways to avoid setbacks, meal makeovers, ways to look slimmer by choosing the right clothes, making fitness deadlines, and small daily tweaks you can make every day to add up to big results.
So what are those fastest ways to lose weight?
- 20-plus pounds: Bodyweight exercises and sustained moderate-intensity cardio, such as walking, hiking, biking or swimming.
- 10 pounds: Strength training with heavier weights and higher intensity cardio.
- 5 pounds: This is when things get tough, since the closer you are to your ideal weight, the slower your body wants to let go of weight. High-intensity interval training (HIIT training) will goose your metabolism to burn more calories all day long.