Iconic New York radio station HOT 97 WQHT will be the center of a new, unscripted, reality television show beginning March 31st on VH1. “This Is HOT 97” will take viewers behind the scenes of the hip-hop/R&B station, where outrageous radio DJs and personalities interview celebrities such as Kanye West, Macklemore, Rick Ross, Wale, and more. From an outsider’s perspective, HOT 97 is a well-oiled machine churning out music, news and pop culture, but when the “ON AIR” sign goes off; viewers will see that this cast is just as lovingly dysfunctional as any other family. This crew goes hard for each other, but above all they live, eat, and breathe HOT 97.
The primary cast of “This is HOT 97” consists of:
- Ebro Darden- As the no-nonsense program director of HOT 97, Ebro is the middle man between the corporate office and the gang. However after joining the morning show, the line between boss and co-worker has gotten a little blurry for the rest of his team.
- Funkmaster Flex- A hip-hop innovator since the genre’s early years, Flex is the “godfather” of HOT 97 and rules the weeknights from 7 p.m. to midnight. His on-air rants, big ego, and short temper sometimes get him into trouble with rappers, celebs, and his fellow DJs. But don’t let his brash on-air personality fool you—Flex is as big a teddy bear as they come.
- Angie Martinez- Dubbed “The Voice of New York” and “Queen Bee” of the station, Angie is the ultimate stop for any artist or actor in the entertainment industry. Second to none in the business, her afternoon drive slot earns some of the most enviable ratings in the nation.
- Cipha Sounds- Cipha may be modest, but he’s a big deal in this world and has worked his way up at HOT 97 over the last sixteen years. He’s also DJ’d for Jay-Z, Mos Def, and Rihanna, as well as serving as house DJ on “Chappelle's Show.”
- Rosenberg- This morning show member is a music snob and loud about it. But up-and-coming artists should rejoice in his volume, because he’s the lone voice pushing underground artists at HOT 97, which is integral to this station staying on top.
- Laura Stylez- As the wide-eyed newbie of the morning show, and the nicest, she’s the little sister at the station that covers all things fashion and pop-culture.
- Miss Info- Although she’s often labeled as a gossip columnist, Miss Info is actually a seasoned entertainment journalist who has written for Rolling Stone, The Source, Vibe, and many other major media outlets.
The cast is rounded out by Ebro’s “right hand,” Karlie Hustle, and features more of the station’s DJs and producers including DJ Enuff, Big Dennis, Shani Kulture, and DJ Drewski.
Each episode of “This Is HOT 97” will draw upon the ambitions, rivalries and quirky personalities of the cast to capture all of the comedic and sometimes downright awkward moments that happen at the station on a daily basis. Tune in to the series premiere of “This Is HOT 97” Monday, March 31st at 10:30 p.m. ET/ PT on VH1.
For more information, fans can visit ThisIsHOT97.VH1.com and tweet along during episodes using #ThisIsHot97.