- Only one dancer will leave the competition each week, not two.
- The partners will change every week.
- There will not be a top 20.
- The contestants will no longer choose their dance genres.
- Less than four dancers will compete in the finale.
At first glance, the changes don't make a lot of sense. Until you factor in the most important change of all: The partners for this season's top ten will be made up of All-Stars from the previous six seasons. Each week, the contestants will choose a new partner from the All-Star pool. This will also decide their dance style, as each All-Star will be a specialist in specific genre. Each week America will vote for their favorite (only the competitors will be judged) and one of the bottom three dancers will go home.
The dancers in the All-Star pool haven't been announced yet. Lythgoe promises to share their names over the next few weeks.