A well-known New Orleans jazz musician is hospitalized and unconscious after being attacked late Monday night in the city’s French Quarter. According to WLTV, the victim, 54-year-old Doug Potter, is believed to have been a target of the infamous and controversial "knockout" game.
Potter, who plays base for the group Steamboat Willie and his New Orleans Jazz Band, was performing with earlier in the evening at Cafe Beignet on Bourbon Street. The attack occurred shortly after the group’s last set. Surveillance video captured footage two men physically assaulting Potter as he walked to his car.
He was taken to University Hospital, where he underwent brain surgery. He has been in a medically induced coma ever since.
New Orleans Police detectives have studied the video and have ruled out robbery as a motive. They note that suspects left the scene of the crime empty-handed.
They have since released a sketch of one of the two suspects, shown here. He is described as a black man and about 5’7” with a stocky build. He has a tattoo between his eyes that appeared to be a letter “W” with a cross above it.
Of the attack, the band’s leader said:
In 2004, we started playing here. All this time we've had nothing bad happen. This is the first time something bad has happened.
- Dallas: Another elderly ‘knockout’ victim
- NY teen arrested in connection with upstate ‘knockout’ attack on elderly woman
- Judge Judy calls ‘knockout game’ a ‘virus’
- Brooklyn man charged in seven ‘knockout’ attacks, five on Jewish women
- Rose McGowan witnesses ‘knockout game’ attack
- AARP: Knockout game victims are often ‘people of color’
- Tommy Christopher blames Fox News for ‘knockout’ attack ona elderly black man
- White perpetrator of ‘knockout’ attack charged with hate crime
- Brooklyn: Nine knockout game attacks since October: Police ‘see no evidence of a trend’
- Harvard prof blasts ‘sick and barbaric’ knockout game, indifference of academia
- NJ lawmakers propose bills that they hope will deliver a KO to so-called ‘knockout game’
- Knockout game attack posted on Facebook
- Highly publicized Knockout victim fuels leftist myth that game is ‘fabrication’
- Perps in latest ‘Knockout’ game are elementary school students; libs still insist attacks are mythical
- Knockout game comes to Rikers Island
- Knockout attack goes terribly right: Watch female victim pummel her would-be assailant