Furby has been around for almost 20 years, and improvements and added features have kept it popular with a couple of generations of children. Furby first begans as a novelty toy equipped with light and motion sensors causing it to react to its environment. It reacted to loud noises and was "intelligent" enough to learn to speak English, responding to being praised for developing new skills. The next genesis was the 2005 emoto-tronic Furby with a more 'emotional' face and voice recognition system that allows it to interact and "recognize" humans. In 2012, Furby resurfaced once more with expressive LCD eyes, a wider range of motions and the ever-popular ability to adapt its personality to the behavior of its owner. Almost from the beginning, because of its ability to mimic and repeat words, Furbies have been banned from secure government offices for the sake of National Security.
Now enter the new Furby, the Furby Boom, which is touted to become the best seller this Christmas. Packed with many new and improved features, you can now encourage the new Furby Boom to lay eggs into your tablet or ipad via the app. This allows the eggs to grow to become a small virtual Furby (“Furbling”). After hatching, users can maintain and play games with their babies, thus earning Furbucks to unlock other features and extras.You won't be able to buy Furbucks, you can only earning them by playing. Up to 50 eggs can be collected and will unlock a whole Furby Boom City.
This toy is ecommended for children aged 6+ years and retails at toysrus.com for $59.99. It is not yet available in stores.
According to the Furby website, the new Furby Boom's features include:
- Build your own virtual Furby Furblings City
- Collect and hatch virtual Furblings to fill your city in the Furby Boom app, and try to get the golden Furblings egg
- Raise digital Furblings with your Furby Boom
- You can hatch and raise virtual Furblings with your New Furby Boom, and play games together using the free Furby Boom app
- Take care of your Furby Boom with the App and shape its personality with how you treat it
- Use the Furby Boom app to give your Furby Boom creature virtual food, check-ups, showers and more
- Give Your Furby Boom a name
- Furby Boom will remember the name you give it and the names of other Furby Boom friends it meets
- New Furby Boom has more than twice as many possible responses as the previous Furby
- The more you talk to your Furby Boom and interact with it, the more English it speaks
- Pet it, tickle its tummy and pull its tail\
- Pull and hold its tail for 10 seconds to make Furby Boom sleep
- Feed Furby with your finger