The Greater Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame is accepting applications for the newly created New Era Student-Athlete Scholarship. The scholarship, which includes two $2,500 grants awarded to a deserving male and female, was created in 2012 to recognize deserving high school student-athletes who excel not only in their athletic endeavors, but in the classroom as well.
In addition, the scholarship seeks student-athletes who express themselves and their individuality, and who participate in extra-curricular activities including, but not limited to, community outreach, student government, theatre, clubs/groups, organizations, etc.
Successful candidates for the scholarship must meet the following criteria:
• Be a graduating senior in the year of the application.
• Be admitted to an accredited college or university of their choice (check will be officially awarded after proper notification of enrollment is received through the college/university).
• Reside in the greater Western New York region.
• Develop an essay in which the applicant offers insight into his or her self-expression, creativity and individuality through activities, hobbies, interest, etc. In essence, explain what makes you, your lifestyle and your passions unique.
• Complete the application and include submission of at least three letters of recommendation.
The deadline for submission is Feb. 28. Applications are available at the Greater
Buffalo Sports Hall of Fame web site at www.gbshof.com.