While speaking at the University of Colorado in Boulder, Gina McCarthy, the new head of the EPA, said Wednesday the administration is finished waiting on Congress and is set to take unilateral action on measures aimed at global warming, the Washington Times reported.
In June, Obama gave “what I really think is a most remarkable speech by a president of the United States,” she said.
“Essentially, he said that it is time to act,” she said. “And he said he wasn’t going to wait for Congress, but that he had administrative authorities and that it was time to start utilizing those more effectively and in a more concerted way.”
McCarthy insisted the administration could reduce so-called greenhouse gas emissions without harming economic growth, and could do it without any congressional approval.
“We’re going to do this this year, next year, the following year, until people understand these are not scary things to do, these are actions we can all do, they’re actions that benefit everybody, that will grow the economy, and they’re actions that will protect the health and safety of individuals,” she said.
Obama's plan has been characterized as a "war on coal" and a "war on jobs" by Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky.
“It’s tantamount to kicking the ladder out from beneath the feet of any Americans struggling in today’s economy,” McConnell said.
Moreover, according to recent government data, dictatorial action on the climate doesn't appear to be necessary as temperatures from January to July were below the 30-year average.
But that data doesn't appear to matter to McCarthy.
“[The president] told us to start paying attention to what’s going on in states and cities like Colorado and Boulder, and to start learning what you have already learned and to start getting the federal government to take the responsibility that it must take to face the challenge of climate change,” she added.
McCarthy didn't say what specific action the administration would take, but the Times said Boulder's city council enacted a one-year moratorium on fracking, a procedure used to extract petroleum and natural gas from the ground.
- John Kerry: Obama to rule like dictator on global warming
- Obama in weekly address: Americans will be judged on global warming
- Obama for America global warming rally attracts zero attendees
- Reports: Obama to rely on unilateral action in 'war on coal'
- Obama's solution to high gas prices: Pond scum
- Obama at Berlin: Climate change 'global threat of our time'
- President Obama mocks drilling for oil in weekly address
- Obama reveals energy plan: Raise taxes, blame Republicans
- Obama regime admits it wants high gas prices
- House Democrats claim global warming will drive women to prostitution
- Oregon professor: Climate change skeptics diseased, need treatment
- Movement seeks voluntary human extinction
For hard-hitting conservative commentary, please visit Joe's blog, the Conservative Firing Line. You can also find Joe's articles at Right News Now, Tea Party Tribune, Liberty Unyielding and PolitiCollision.
Be sure to listen to "Grit and Grace" every Thursday from 6-8 p.m. Pacific Time on Blog Talk Radio, where you can hear Joe discuss current events.