Some Phoenix job seekers have been stuck in a rut searching over the summer. If this describes you, there are some new companies bringing jobs to the Valley of the Sun that may be great places to get a fresh start in your career. Before you head out to a hiring event, use this checklist to be prepared before, during, and after the event…
- Check your look. This goes beyond having a professional suit, padfolio with notepad, and copies of your resume. Make sure your attire from top to bottom shows your business attitude and commitment to representing their company well. Polished shoes, pressed clothes, minimalized jewelry, clean cut hair, and conservative colors for shirts and ties are all part of the right look.
- Read what you wrote. Even if you wrote a tailored resume for the event two minutes ago, go back and re-read the content right before you walk into the event. This will give you time to reflect on your personal experience that you want to talk about with the employer.
- Anticipate a web search. Assume that the company is impressed by your skills, and plan ahead. Social media is a way that companies may evaluate your skills too. Be sure that your Facebook® and LinkedIN® profile pictures and information is up to date and professionally focused.
- Prep answers to the obvious. By reading the job description for the positions you may be applying to, you can anticipate what questions the hiring managers will ask you at the event. Think about your best examples to show your skills in the areas the job requires.
- Get a draft ready to go. Immediately after the event, you should send a follow up letter to the people you spoke with. Reminding them about how your qualifications match their needs is a crucial step in potentially launching your next career.