A colorful eye catcher, the new Norwegian Breakaway cruise ship is ready to set sail in April 2013. The state-of-the-art, 4,000-passenger ship in the Norwegian Cruise Line has many reasons to attract travelers.
Here are 10 interesting tidbits about the newest beauty on the ocean:
1. Norwegian Breakaway will homeport year-round in New York City.
2. The Breakaway will have a live fireworks show on every cruise. The environmentally-friendly pyrotechnics display will dazzle guests on the second to last night at sea each week.
3. For larger families, 42 of 158 oceanview cabins on the Breakaway will be “family oceanviews,” which can accommodate up to five people.
4. The ship’s signature hull artwork was designed by pop icon Peter Max, termed “America’s Most Collected Artist.”
5. Norwegian Breakaway features the first Aqua Park at sea. It boats five full-size water slides including twin Free Fall slides, the first ever at sea.
6. The ship also has a three-story sports complex with the most extensive ropes course at sea, a nine-hole miniature golf course, a basketball court and rock climbing wall.
7. The Breakaway will feature The Waterfront, an outdoor "boardwalk" with eight al fresco dining venues and lounges. It connects to 678 Ocean Place, a three-deck atrium running the length of the ship.
8. Norwegian Breakaway will offer a taste of New York with authentic Sabrett New York hot dog carts positioned around the ship, where guests can enjoy their hot dogs with Brooklyn Lager beer.
9. The Rockettes® are the godmothers of Norwegian Breakaway.
10. The Norwegian Breakaway’s construction meets all the latest safety standards, and all valid environmental regulations.
Norwegian Cruise Line has a 46-year history of breaking the boundaries of traditional cruising, most notably with the introduction of Freestyle Cruising, which gives guests more freedom and flexibility.
Norwegian invites guests to “Cruise Like a Norwegian” on one of 11 Freestyle Cruising ships, providing guests the opportunity to enjoy a relaxed cruise vacation on some of the newest and most contemporary ships at sea.
For more information: Contact Norwegian Cruise Lines at (866) 234-7350, www.ncl.com.