As in the back to school parody video by The Holderness Family, it's time to get excited about the routine of school and everything with it including folders with prongs. Below are a few apps that may help different age levels.
Fun with Colors by Bastei Entertainment
"Fun With Colors" combines three learning styles - visual, auditory and tactical engagement - to help children (age 2-5) become well-versed with the primary colors.
- Narration in English, German, Mandarin Chinese, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese, and Turkish
- Intuitive kid-friendly controls
- No in-app purchases
Fun with Colors is available in the iTunes App Store.
Solar Skate by Grom Social Inc and Florida Virtual School (FLVS)
The mobile skateboarding game reinforces geometry concepts and is aimed at kids in 4th through 8th grades.
• Action-packed levels
• Fast-paced skating action
• Fun characters
• Cool skate tricks
• Swipe and tilt as you ride from planet to planet
• Fun math puzzles
• Upgradable power-ups
• Unlock awesome options in the Shop
• Colorful and vivid HD graphics
Developed By Kids For Kids, Solar Skate is currently available on iTunes for Apple iOS devices for $1.99.
Advice for the Grind
The app produces a mobile content app called Career PreGame that gives college students a four-year plan to help them land a job when they graduate. The app helps students set goals each year and shows them how to use internships, clubs, activities, and academics for resume building. It sends them push reminders about when to do things like apply for summer internships or go to career fairs.
To buy the app, which costs $3.99, go to adviceforthegrind.com or search the app store for Career PreGame. The app is available for the iPhone, iPad, and Android devices.
DayPlanner by iStratus
With back-to-school and back-to-work, iStratus DayPlanner helps individuals, families, students and professionals by providing unprecedented digital organizing capabilities. It gathers and connects multiple calendars—whether in Outlook, iCal, Google Calendar and others—for one seamless integration that makes the Schedule shareable among other users when desired. Events, appointments, notes, tasks and to-dos can be added when offline, synced when an internet connection is restored, and then propagated to the entire sharing user group.
Free download at the Apple App Store during the introductory period.
Then there are those oldies but goodies apps. 24/7 Moms, a website for Moms by Moms, has a list of five older apps they think are must have for the start of the school year.
- Best app for back-to-school shopping: Flipp is a shopper's best friend! Flipp allows users to browse through hundreds of digital circulars from all of their favorite retailers, right on their mobile device. The search and clip features allow users to find specific items on sale and seamlessly create a shopping list to make planning ahead, and in-store shopping, easy. With Flipp, everything is available digitally for easy savings, anytime, anywhere. Available for iOS and Android.
- Best app for back-to-school lunch preparation: LaLa Lunchbox makes lunch prep as easy as 1-2-3 by letting kids suggest and help plan their favorite meals. LaLa Lunchbox helps teach kids about healthy food choices as they browse through the customizable food library, turning their "picks" into a readymade shopping list for mom and dad. Available for iOS.
- Best app for keeping the family's back-to-school schedule on track: Cozi Family Organizer is an app that the whole family can share – and the latest way to manage each member's schedule. Cozi Family Organizer enables families to keep track of their calendars, letting them edit appointments, set reminders, share grocery lists, and more, all on one account! Available for iOS and Android.
- Best app for back-to-school organization: Wunderlist lends a helping hand to busy parents on-the-go by allowing them to keep a handle on their everyday to-do lists. Wunderlist eliminates the need for paper notes, as users create and share their own lists and collaborate on projects directly on their phone! Available for iOS and Android.
- Best app for back-to-school homework help: A helpful digital planner for students of all ages, myHomework tracks assignments and exam dates, giving parents and kids a bird's eye view of what's coming up in the weeks and months ahead, so they'll never be caught unprepared on test days or when homework is due. Available for iOS and Android.
I still need to get my TMNT lunchbox.