Are all schools closed in Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York on Friday, Feb. 8, 2013?
With the blizzard conditions expected in much of the northeast, there is a long list of school cancellations due to the impending winter storm Nemo.
The 2013 blizzard could dump as more than two feet of snow in Providence and Boston, with big snow fall totals expected in New York City, parts of Connecticut and as far north as Maine.
- Snowfall Totals: NOAA predicts massive snowfall totals in Northeast
- Check for the latest airline delays, flight cancellation information here
- Check for AMTRAK cancellations and delays here
Not only are schools and businesses closing, airlines including Jet Blue, US Airways, Delta Airlines, Southwest Airlines are all already making cancellations. See airline information below.
Amtrak is halting service in the Northeast this afternoon. Find the latest information here.
The MBTA in Boston stops at 3:30 p.m. ET and RIPTA buses in RI will stop operating at noon on Friday.
Rhode Island school and business closing list:
In Rhode Island, Governor Lincoln Chafee has ordered first shift state workers to stay home on Friday. Almost every school in the state will be closed and many businesses are starting to issue closing times and early dismissal notices for employees.
- Check the school closing list on the AAA sponsored Rhode Island Broadcasters Association Cancellation System (RIBA) list here. This list also includes government closings, day care closings, business closings, and a list of event cancellations.
Massachusetts school and business closing list:
- Check the WBZ closing list here. Most schools in the Boston area are closed. Governor Patrick has directed that non-emergency employees working in Executive Branch agencies should not report to their workplaces on Friday, February 8, 2013.
Connecticut school and business closing list:
- Click here for the most updated list of closings, delays and early dismissals in Connecticut. Sign up for closings and weather alerts here.
New York school and business closing list:
- NBC New York has the latest closings list here. Some areas are not under a blizzard watch, but winter storm warnings are in effect, so many schools, businesses and colleges are canceling or closing early.
If you are trying to fly in or out of Boston, New York or Providence on Friday, it is important to note that many airports will stop service this afternoon.
If you're traveling by train, Amtrak is suspending service in many areas and Boston's MBTA will shut down this afternoon. RIPTA bus service in Rhode Island will stop at noon on Feb. 8, 2013.
Check TF Green Airport home page for all flight arrivals, departures, cancellations and delays in Providence. Find flight information for Logan Airport in Boston here. Check for flight delays and cancellations at New York's Laguardia Airport here and JFK Airport here.