10-days of mourning for the incredibly heroic South African leader Nelson Mandela officially commenced on Dec. 6, 2013 and will conclude on Dec. 15, 2013 in the Eastern Cape Province of his ancestral village of Qunu.
Mandela, 95, can hardly be surpassed in his activism and determination to fight against racial inequality. His life and achievements have been so powerfully effective, we should all be so blessed to live such a long courageous life, relentlessly in pursuit of social justice to promote peace, human rights and democracy. Willing to die every step of the way, yet living for just shy of a century is no small feat.
Not many people are authentic or passionate enough, nor willing to spend life in prison for the good of all after being offered a chance at freedom in exchange for denouncing the struggle for freedom.
Mandela, also known as Madiba died in his Houghton home on the evening of Dec. 5, 2013. He became the first black president of South Africa after spending 27 years in prison for actively fighting against Apartheid in the racially segregated South Africa.
Some of Nelson Mandela's greatest accomplishments and victorious moments are as follows:
- Co-founder of African National Conference (ANC) and later National Secretary then President of the ANCYL- ANC Youth League.
- Nobel Peace Prize recipient.
- 27 years spent in prison.
- First President of the Republic of South Africa.
- Established Nelson Mandela Children's Fund
- Established Nelson Mandela Foundation - contributes to the making of a just society by promoting the values, vision and work of their Founder, Nelson Mandela, through the foundation’s Centre of Memory and Dialogue.
- The Mandela Rhodes Scholarship Foundation - building leadership excellence in Africa.
- Endured the loss of children and grandchildren.
Resilient, moral, courageous, determined, conscious, intelligent, wise, passionate, and enduring Nelson Mandela will always be an icon and paradigm for the struggle against racial oppression through peaceful resistance worldwide.
Ciao Madiba! The world painfully yet compassionately releases you into eternal freedom and peace.